Film recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Fifth element,sci fi fun,Bruce willis trying to stop evil killing everything.
Armageddon,bruce willis saving the world from an asteroid.
Alien,the first one,great thriller too.
Alien two,more action with the space marines fighting the aliens.
The bourne ultimatum,great spy action,bourne lost his memory and is trying to find out who he is,but everyone seems intent on stopping him.

SamNichols

Tetedelacourse said:
More recently:

Pan's Labyrinth; Spanish (I think) film about a little girl accessing a land of fantasy/ legend during the Spanish civil war.

Mexican actually, and it's brilliant. The other two films by Guillermo Del Toro are great too - the Devil's Backbone and Cronos - he made the film hellboy too, which was great but not the most intelligent film

Red Road: Scots film set in Glasgow. Brilliant acting but not the cheeriest.

Great film, but SO DEPRESSING. Not the cheeriest is an understatement, but clever use of CCTV footage and what not. If i remember correctly, the Director won the Best Short Film Oscar about two years ago, and this is her debut full length

The Straight Story: old timer decides to visit his brother who lives in another state. His only means of transport is his lawn mower. David Lynch directed. Endearing.

Not seen that one, might check it out. It's not Lynch doing the: 'I'm a little bit weird...' thing is it?

Sin City: 3 or 4 mini stories, brilliantly shot by Robert Rodriguez with great cast, in semi-comic book style.

Visually superb, it is based around the Frank Miller graphic novel, and is nearly the same shot by shot. Frank Miller is credited as another Director, and Quentin Tarantino randomly directs a bit in the middle - the bit with Benicio Del Toro in the car, to be precise. Totally vapid and slightly misogynistic though - also absurdly gory in places.

Capote: Quite interesting, based on the author Truman Capote's fascination with a small town murder, which became a best seller in the US.

It's based around the writing of In Cold Blood... In Cold Blood was also released as a film at the same time, and the characterisation of Truman Capote is meant to be even better. Not seen the latter one though

Sixth Sense If you haven't seen it or heard the ending, excellent film.

Great film, although M. Night Shymalan has made tosh ever since. Some one needs to tell him: 'a good twist does not a good film make'. particularly dire was unbreakable, also starring Bruce Willis

Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock. Spock goes missing and the rest search for him. Be warned though. If you're a Leonard Nimoy fan, he's only in it at the end.
Most Star Trek films are pretty good - the most recent, Nemesis, was surprisingly good, and First Contact was excellent

I thought A Scanner Darkly was awful! But each to their own!

Let's get this over with - it stars a lot of very inconsistent actors- Robert Downey Jr, Woody Harrelson, Winona Ryder, and [worst of all] Keanu Reeves. This was a very deliberate move, as all of had drugs problems at one time or another, and hence characterise drug use very well. It's not the best acted film of all time, but the roto-scoping adds an extra dimension that takes it beyond terrible sci-fi and into an interesting film. Bizarrely enough Richard Linklater also directed School of Rock. I can see why you didn't like it - it wasn't the best film of all time, and is a bit like Marmite, but i thought it was good.

If you're looking for different things, Dogville. But it is the singular most god-awful film I've ever seen.

[/quote]

Jeez, that film was dull. it didn't help that Lars Von Trier was trying something really weird with the shooting.

The film Elephant - loosely based around Columbine is very good indeed, i forgot about that one

ajevans

Straight Story: Lynch's film does what it says on the tin in this case; it's a quirky but straight story.

Guillermo Del Toro: You can tell if it's a good Del Toro film by checking whether it's in Spanish or English. He does the hollywood trash to pay the bills so to speak.

Emu

I'm not going to suggest any films but I've been a member of Lovefilm for about 2 years now and I've mainly used it for all the things I didn't watch on TV. In the past 2 weeks I've watched both series of Life on Mars. This week I'm watching Spooks 5. I much prefer being able to watch a series all in one go rather than trying to remember to record it because I don't have time to watch telly when the programmes are actually on.

SamNichols

If you like films, and podcasts, then the radio 5 Mark Kermode podcast is well worth a listen. He's quite chalk and cheese to many, but I find that his reviews have very astute observations. His ire is also always amusing, as he tends to tear apart other reviewers, films and little annoyances a lot.

Some people think he's a knob though. I do tend to believe a man that has a PhD in film studies over Jonathan Ross any day.

asterix

Comrade Member
IF:
This [1968] film features Malcolm McDowall in his screen debut and shows acne, bullying, beating, BSA motorcycles, cold showers, a naked fantasy romp, Bren guns, weird padres, officious prefects, Arthur Lowe singing in bed with his wife, a foetus, a boy held upside down in the toilet, the school hall on fire, smoking, gymnastics, cadet soldiers, men dressed as knights, the headmaster with a bullet in his head and gun battles. What more could a viewer possibly want?

or alternatively..

A strange film from 1968. A film on education in Great Britain. The education of the middle class or what could be called the bourgeoisie, second social stratum after the aristocracy. Education in a boarding school, with prefects, whips, and everything like corporal punishments and mean nasty segregational attitudes towards those who have too much personality or do not accept to be wimps marching along to the dictatorial rule of the prefects, whips and other real or false headmasters. It is all wrong from the very start. It represses originality, initiative and creativity and develops the desire to be on top one day to become the torturer who will be able to impose on smaller ones what they have been imposed by bigger ones when they were small. Democratic slavery. You have to submit to the system totally in order to become the slave master later on and compensate your frustration when you were a slave on the slaves under your control. This is no education, this is taming. This is not teaching morality but teaching savage displaced vengeance. Of course the film is showing exactly what may happen when you victimize the more brilliant, the more original because they are more brilliant and original than you are (two meanings intended). It is the survival of the old feudal education system that was making all children who were to be in the superior class later on be pages or chambermaids, as soon as they had crossed the first year or so of puberty, in the hands of aristocrats. They just had to do what they were told to do, including personal service to their masters and mistresses, or they had to suffer punishment that could be of the most violent type. To educate the future leaders of our society by making them go through the false and fake choice of submission or rebellion, being used in the most debilitating ways or being punished with the most vicious means, being humiliated or being violently broken. It cultivates rebellion without a cause in these young people, and we say it is without a cause without any clue at all about what it is really, because to be humiliated, victimized, brutalized, and even violated is the best cause to be rebellious, though it is not rebellious they should be but plainly advocates of the violent change of this society. It is that survival of feudal customs and methods that produced the revolutionary movements of the 19th and 20th centuries, whose leadership had been too often forced to go through this process of humiliating the future master out of the humiliation itself. The end of the film then is purely phantasmagoric but it is exactly what this society deserves: good old strong deadly bullets right in the center of the forehead. This film is the British pioneering version of the American "Zabriskie Point", just a few years later. We are coming back from deep deep under in the dark realm of Hades and we are far from the clear and trans-lucid target of total transparency and honesty. This film, in its way is just as powerful and brain raking as "Clockwork Orange" or "The Dead Poets Society".

Just been released on DVD

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Thanks for all the suggestions, people.

Sam, I already d/l the podcast and it tickles me greatly, but thanks for mentioning it. The VodCast (as they seem to have called it) is even more amusing as you get to see Mr Kermode in all his gesticulating glory. :blush::biggrin:

GuyBoden

Guru
Poor Things.

An excellent film, very imaginative and creative. Inspired by Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin Shelley's The Modern Prometheus.

Poor-Things-Movie-Review.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If was on film four the other night. Tis very good and amusing.

There's a kind of sequel too, or at least another thematically similar film, but more bonkers if anything - "Oh lucky man" also with McDowel as the lead. It's a long time since I saw it but I remember it as being pretty good

Last edited:
I watched Fall (2022) recently, its about two girls who climb an old television transmitter tower for social media likes, it's a lot better than that sounds and I won't say anything about what happens as it's best going in without knowing too much.

GuyBoden

Guru
One Life

I watched One Life,last week, with Antony Hopkins, it's the true story of a young London Stock broker who rescued nearly 700 children from the Nazis in Prague in 1938.

It's a story worth telling again and again and again. Especially with today's war problems.

ems.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
I can't see the point of creating a new thread on a subject everytime, like some members do, when there is already an existing thread on a given subject, hopefully the info in a thread will accumulate over time, then become documentation containing more and more information. So that forum readers can browse, hopefully being informed of past events, ideas, knowledge and experiences.

There are a lot of knowledgeable forum members, it would be a pity to start a new thread on a subject everytime, thus ignoring their knowledge.

Top Bottom