Films and TV programmes that have influenced you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This could have been the 'Space Movie' which aired during the 10th anniversary of the moon landings back in '79. There is no narration, just music if it's the same one I saw. I recall a moment when the astronauts are walking on the moon and the soundtrack had Nights in White Satin on. Nice movie, haven't seen it since.

I don't know, but it would have been in the early '90s if anything, 1989 possibly (Channel 4 only came into existence in 1982 anyway).

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to try and find it now!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Vision ON... ah The Gallery... took me years to get a drawing on there!

I had a VisionON annual as a kid. One of the things featured in it were some sculptures that had been made by an Artist, by welding bits of scrap together. There was a knight in armour standing to attention, and a knight on a horse, and you could identify all the various bits and pieces used, while seeing the whole shape - I remember the standing knight had something like a radiator grille for a breastplate. I thought they were fantastic, but felt sad that I'd never be able to do that sort of thing because it involved welding, and I didn't have access to scrap metal*.

35 years on, with NT's encouragement, I'm starting to think that maybe I could do that sort of thing, and be an Artist myself. I have Ideas and everything. Funny how long it takes sometimes, to fulfill an ambition.

*This sort of thinking was a feature of my childhood. I remember wanting to be a jockey, aged about 6, but writing the idea off because I didn't know how to ride a horse. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that I could learn to do so if I really wanted to.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
C4s coverage of The Tour.

The Open University's programmes for their course on Modern Art and Modernism (I found they helped my Saturday morning hangover, and inspired a visit to the Tate where I remember the first thing I saw was Nuam Gabo's Head no. 2).

Leaway2

Lycrist
Tommorow's World with Ramond Baxter and James Burke [pre Judith Whatserface...]
I never missed that programme. I remember watching with utter horror when J Hann took over and was explaining how the immune system worked using a chess pieces and thinking, if people know this little, they probably wouldn't be watching.
♫ Do do do dooooo do di didi do di didi, Do do do dooooo do di didi do di didi ♫

U

User169

Horizon: Life Story

Watched it when I was about 17 and decided immediately to become a molecular biologist. Bit strange really given that Crick, Franklin and Wilkins were physicists (not sure what Watson was - a bird watcher I think).

Top Bottom