Films you are glad you've never seen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've never seen any Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or Star Wars films and I'm pretty certain my life is better as a result.

Mortiroloboy

Brokeback mountain (sp) What's that all about then?

I like my cowboy's to be real men...

yello

Anything with Danny de Vito in it.... excepting Taxi.

There's some films where it's just plainly evident that it's going to be a pile of unmitigated crap. ("Snakes on a Plane" is one such, I have to say!) I remember seeing the poster for a DeVito and Arnold Swcharsathingy movie; some kind of 'long lost brothers' thing... you just knew that that was as funny as it got. Similarly, a pregnant Arnie or the 'kindergarten cop' one.

They are what I call 'motorcycle grannie' jokes. Setting up some obvious juxtaposition that we're all meant to howl with laughter at. Like those oh so comedic blokes (rugby players?) that think it a right laugh to dress up in drag... but will abuse any bloke with a 'man bag'... and beat the crap out of a cross dresser. Sorry ;) getting a bit OT

It's possible to make such juxtapositions funny, but you have to so something with them. They are not funny in and of themselves.

Flying_Monkey said:
That's very sad... :laugh:
Not really. I object to the Critically Approved List principle in any art form. The Grauniad has been doing a 1000 Books You Must Read series recently and my automatic response is 'must I b*ll*cks'. I have no interest in the subject matter of his films and I'm not fond of old b&w either, so I'm damned if I'm going to waste hours of my life watching them just in order to tick a cultural box.

Oh and we were made to watch the film version of 'The Go-between' when I was at college. Beyond dull and off into a whole new world of pain. ;)

U

User482

User259iroloboy said:
Brokeback mountain (sp) What's that all about then?

I like my cowboy's to be real men...

The point about Brokeback mountain is that it isn't about cowboys; it's about forbidden love. If you were expecting a cowboy film it's no wonder you were disappointed!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mama Mia.

I don't know where else I'd go if I did want to see famous people doing karaoke, but then I don't want to see famous people doing karaoke.

yello

Why "proud"? Damned weird thing to be proud of!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Chuffy said:
Not really. I object to the Critically Approved List principle in any art form. The Grauniad has been doing a 1000 Books You Must Read series recently and my automatic response is 'must I b*ll*cks'. I have no interest in the subject matter of his films and I'm not fond of old b&w either, so I'm damned if I'm going to waste hours of my life watching them just in order to tick a cultural box.

C'mon Chuffy - look at what you wrote - I think you have argued yourself into some kind of corner that you are unable to escape from here. I'm not remotely interested in what is critically approved - that's a complete diversion. You know all the subject matter of all of Hitchcock's films and you have no interest in any of them? I don't think so. Enjoying film as much as I do, I just think it is sad to deliberately cut yourself off from something so enjoyable without ever having even tried with an open mind.

Mr Pig

I've never seen a single episode of Sex And The City, any of the CSI programs, ER, The West Wing, and most of the other programs that people seem to rave about.

Flying_Monkey said:
C'mon Chuffy - look at what you wrote - I think you have argued yourself into some kind of corner that you are unable to escape from here. I'm not remotely interested in what is critically approved - that's a complete diversion. You know all the subject matter of all of Hitchcock's films and you have no interest in any of them? I don't think so. Enjoying film as much as I do, I just think it is sad to deliberately cut yourself off from something so enjoyable without ever having even tried with an open mind.
Er, no. :blush:
They appear inumerable times on clip shows, Best Of shows, quizzes, you name it, not to mention the film magazines and books that I've read. I'm more than familiar enough with them to make an informed decision about whether or not I can be arsed to watch them, and frankly I can't. I've also had conversations with horrified friends who can't believe I've never seen one. Whether you want to accept it or not, they are part of the canon of What Is Good (tm) and I feel the same way about them as I do about Victorian novels and modern soap operas. Please don't play the 'closed mind' card because it's just cheap. We all filter stuff, because it's impossible to watch/read/listen to everything. My filter excludes Hitchcock, which happens to horrify film buffs. I don't know what your filters exclude but you've got them, like it or not.

Top Bottom