Films you've watched again and again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
A selection of a few multi-watch films:

Duel
Court Jester
Maltese Falcon
39 Steps
The Big Sleep
Hobsons Choice
Chinatown
The Sting
Whiskey Galore
Passport to Pimlico
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Taking of Pelham 123
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Incredibles
Megamind

Better than all those though are classic 1930s/40s Looney Tunes or Tex Avery cartoons.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Better than all those though are classic 1930s/40s Looney Tunes or Tex Avery cartoons.

Oh yes! Back in the mid 90s I had a girlfriend who was a real Looney Tunes aficionado and made me sit through many repeated viewings of her VHS collection. This was not a great hardship. She was really into them for Carl Stalling's superb music as much as anything - she rated him up there with Aaron Copland as one of the great modern American composers.

She was also the one who got me into Groundhog Day. I have a lot to thank her for.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh yes! Back in the mid 90s I had a girlfriend who was a real Looney Tunes aficionado and made me sit through many repeated viewings of her VHS collection. This was not a great hardship. She was really into them for Carl Stalling's superb music as much as anything - she rated him up there with Aaron Copland as one of the great modern American composers.

She was also the one who got me into Groundhog Day. I have a lot to thank her for.

We have a couple of Carl Stallings rehearsal/live CD's in the office. Turned up loud they are magnificent. It sounds like you are right in the middle of the orchestral pit. They were tight as a gnats chaff.

A chap called Stu Brown is resurrecting the music and has released a couple of albums called 'Twisted Toons'. He does a great job. Great stuff and Jolly good fun. Well worth checking out.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

We have a couple of Carl Stallings rehearsal/live CD's in the office. Turned up loud they are magnificent. It sounds like you are right in the middle of the orchestral pit. They were tight as a gnats chaff.

A chap called Stu Brown is resurrecting the music and has released a couple of albums called 'Twisted Toons'. He does a great job. Great stuff and Jolly good fun. Well worth checking out.

Yeah I've got a Vol 1 and 2 of The Carl Stalling Project.

61eQ19tj%2BzL.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yup. Until this moment it had entirely escaped my notice that there was a recent remake of Brighton Rock. How bad is it?

Whilst I've not seen said remake it is telling that "how bad is it?" is everybody's instinctive judgement when such a thing is tried. It's nearly always true mind, and an assumption I useally make myself, but there are exceptions:

Tinker Taylor Soldier - to try and remake albeit as a movie rather than TV show, a series containing Alec Guiness at his absolute best is very bold. And to produce something rather fine is a big acheivement.

The recent Solaris remake already mentioned - I thought it superb.

And of course, Fistfull of Dollars is a remake and a classic in it's own right. And Last Man Standing, the remake of the remake isn't bad either

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Interesting. Books regularly get retranslated and the reception, barring that of a few nostalgics, tends to be excited and appreciative; a film is reworked and disappointment is already factored into the expectations and reviews, even after discounting the nostalgics. Maybe we have a deeper personal investment in music and celluloid that we don't want diluted.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Whilst I've not seen said remake it is telling that "how bad is it?" is everybody's instinctive judgement when such a thing is tried. It's nearly always true mind, and an assumption I useally make myself, but there are exceptions:

Tinker Taylor Soldier - to try and remake albeit as a movie rather than TV show, a series containing Alec Guiness at his absolute best is very bold. And to produce something rather fine is a big acheivement.

The recent Solaris remake already mentioned - I thought it superb.

And of course, Fistfull of Dollars is a remake and a classic in it's own right. And Last Man Standing, the remake of the remake isn't bad either
The Gaslight remake with Bergman and Boyer is pretty good, and I've a soft spot for High Society even though The Philadelphia Story is a better film. Was talking about TTSS last night but I've not seen the film. I reckon avoiding remakes in a general way is likely to save you from more turkeys than it will cost you in missed gems. I wonder what would possess anyone to remake The Ladykillers. And I'm sorry to that I've seen the remake of Get Carter, and what is seen cannot be unseen.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Interesting. Books regularly get retranslated and the reception, barring that of a few nostalgics, tends to be excited and appreciative; a film is reworked and disappointment is already factored into the expectations and reviews, even after discounting the nostalgics. Maybe we have a deeper personal investment in music and celluloid that we don't want diluted.
In fact I think it's less interesting than that. Most Hollywood movies are just pretty bad, and a lot of them are remakes of very good movies, so it's just statistically likely that a given remake will be terrible.

Top Bottom