Filtering - Who has right of way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I was cycling down Wood lane in North London last night, and there was stationary traffic on either side of the road.

As there are road works at the moment, the road is quite narrow, but with enough room to filter down the middle.

Until a moped starts coming the other way. I pulled in as there was space and let him through (a show of apprieciation would have been nice). I didn't pul back out as I could see another couple of mopeds coming, so I waited. The motorbike who was going in my direction, didn't wait and clipped the side of the moped, as neither backed down to give way (he also didn't stop to see if he had done any damage).

So who does have right of way?

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Not on either side, we were both pretty much right on the middle line.

This is what got me confused (it doesn't take much), so I just waited for the on coming filterers to pass and then went myself. But if there hadn't been a gap to pull into, it would have been a stand off.

GrahamG

Guru
I suspect that on this occasion it would come down to common courtesy - you can't establish rules for this kind of thing.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
GrahamG said:
I suspect that on this occasion it would come down to common courtesy - you can't establish rules for this kind of thing.

Unfortunately it's not so common these days.

Tynan

Veteran
sail over steam I'd say, esp as scooters and bikes are bigger and need more room, doesn't all work that way natch but I find motorbikes well behaved around me, scooter too more or less

Trillian

whoever is passing least cars

also whoever is going uphill according to highway code.

Keith Oates

Janner
If he's bigger give way. It may not be the rule (if there is one for the situation described)but it's a good practice to follow. If you ever ride or drive in Asia it's a point to remember at all times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

col

Legendary Member
If you need to cross the white lines,then i would say you should give way,likewise from the other direction ?

Top Bottom