Finally bit the bullet!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Well, after much research, seeking advice, etc, I finally placed an order for a Garmin Edge 510 (£195.00 at Wiggle).

Was certainly tempted by the 500, as advised by some guys on this forum, and at £160 for the bundle, including the HRM belt and cadence sensor, it was a close call compared to £195 for just the GPS unit of the 510 (cheapest bundle I could find was £226.00).

In the end, having sought advice on here, I found out that any ANT+ HRM belt would be compatible with the 510, and as I already have two of these for other HRM's it seemed dumb to fork out more money on a third. OK, I'll still perhaps need the candence/speed sensor, but compatibles are available fairly reasonably.

I would say that probably the single biggest factor in my decision to go for the 510 over the 500, was that the newer model also picks up the Russian GLONASS satellites in addition to the US GPS. Most reviewers seem to be really impressed with the reliability of the GPS signal, even under cloud cover and in forests (which will be a bonus when I'm on the mountain bike).

Looking forward to taking delivery of the unit, and hopefully I will be able to add my own angle to the reviews for the 510 already posted elsewhere on this forum.

Well, after much research, seeking advice, etc, I finally placed an order for a Garmin Edge 510 (£195.00 at Wiggle).

Was certainly tempted by the 500, as advised by some guys on this forum, and at £160 for the bundle, including the HRM belt and cadence sensor, it was a close call compared to £195 for just the GPS unit of the 510 (cheapest bundle I could find was £226.00).

In the end, having sought advice on here, I found out that any ANT+ HRM belt would be compatible with the 510, and as I already have two of these for other HRM's it seemed dumb to fork out more money on a third. OK, I'll still perhaps need the candence/speed sensor, but compatibles are available fairly reasonably.

I would say that probably the single biggest factor in my decision to go for the 510 over the 500, was that the newer model also picks up the Russian GLONASS satellites in addition to the US GPS. Most reviewers seem to be really impressed with the reliability of the GPS signal, even under cloud cover and in forests (which will be a bonus when I'm on the mountain bike).

Looking forward to taking delivery of the unit, and hopefully I will be able to add my own angle to the reviews for the 510 already posted elsewhere on this forum.

In my experience, when it's good, it's very very good, but when it's bad, it's very very bad.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Mine has been fine apart from a Bluetooth issue, which I think I have finally solved.
I was having to rebind it to my phone every time I wanted to upload a ride. If I make sure that the Garmin app is already running and the phone Bluetooth is switched on, before I switch the 510 on, it seems to be OK.

Top Bottom