Finally bought a Ridgeback.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
About 5 years ago, I bought my wife a second hand blue Ridgeback Flight 4, with hydraulic disc brakes and internal Alfine hub gears ( the internal gears were broken, I fixed them with difficulty. ).

And, it has an eccentric bottom bracket.

I changed the handle bar stem to an adjustable type, she loves the bike and has cycled many miles.

I think it would of been the top of the Ridgeback Flight range when new, I'll post a pic tomorrow.

(Edit: My complaint; the paint is too thin, so easily scratches.)

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
About 5 years ago, I bought my wife a second hand blue Ridgeback Flight 4, with hydraulic disc brakes and internal Alfine hub gears ( the internal gears were broken, I fixed them with difficulty. ).

And, it has an eccentric bottom bracket.

I changed the handle bar stem to an adjustable type, she loves the bike and has cycled many miles.

I think it would of been the top of the Ridgeback Flight range when new, I'll post a pic tomorrow.

(Edit: My complaint; the paint is too thin, so easily scratches.)

That's good to hear and I do agree on the paint, it does seem to be excessively damaged on this one, but then I do not know the history.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
To save others the puzzle if you fit the same grips and one wont go on properly its just lousy manufacturing and there will be a ridge of alloy inside that needs a bit of filing down as shown in the photo.

P1030568.JPG

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Just fitting a good set of pedals and found the ones on it were thread locked on. So alarm bells ringing I gave them each a whack and took them off. The threads had been damaged and this had been some ones solution. Shame they did not chuck some grease in the pedals at the same time. :rolleyes:
Taking them off had disturbed the thread and the new pedals would not start. So I screwed them in from the wrong side.

Pulled them up tight in the hope it would align

IMG_20231013_142611318.jpg

IMG_20231013_143242133.jpg

what ever thread was causing the problem and it worked. Phew.

scragend

That's good to hear and I do agree on the paint, it does seem to be excessively damaged on this one, but then I do not know the history.

Likewise. I got mine second hand and the paint is very scruffy. I just assumed it had had a hard life, but now it looks like they do get scuffed easily.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Just worked out the cost.

Bike £50
Grips £10
Bars £15
Stem £5
Mudguards £16

So a good fun, fast, light touring bike for £96.00. Its a buyers market.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
So Flanders went well, no Ridgebacks were injured during this undertaking and despite occasional rain we had a great time. Followed the WW1 front down to Ypers one day and it went along some excellent tow paths and cycle routes. Very well mannered motorists, who seem to be much more modest about their choice of cars.

IMG_20231024_153908987.jpg

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
from an ugly ducking to a swan, bike looks great.

Thanks. I almost put a lightweight rack on, but then realised we only needed one pannier and it was better on my chums bike :okay:

Final figure to build it up was £110 as I forgot the rear cassette cost. For riding around Flanders it was superb, but to go to High Peaks would be a different story. Did 40 miles one day which I was pleased with as covid knocked my fitness down badly last year. Comfy too.

Top Bottom