Finding a bottom bar shifter collar.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm working (very, very, slowly) to build another retro styled touring bike from bits and scrap, and currently I'm trying to find a collar for some bottom bar levers. occasionally we get an elderly bike with a collar/lever combo on the bottom bar, but they're usually old, unreliable and not indexed.

How "standardised" are the lugs on these collars? If I find a Suntour or Sram collar and lever set, can I take the levers off and fit Shimano levers on instead?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Hi, is this the sort of.thing you mean?
IIRC there were ’indexed ‘down tube shifters’, but they were short lived. I have never seen a set, and would not know if the levers were interchangeable. Good luck with the search, and let me know if you want a set of the ‘friction’ shifters - I can usually lay my hands on a set.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If I find a Suntour or Sram collar and lever set, can I take the levers off and fit Shimano levers on instead?
If you find a band on collar with shifters, why would you want to remove the shifters and put a different pair of shifters on it?
The shifters without band you have found are possibly for those frames that came with built in lugs.

Very very few downtube shifters were indexed, as once indexing became popular STI levers / Brifters soon followed. (there will be some and no doubt someone will post that their Dawes galaxy has indexed DT shifters :okay:)

Friction shifters are better anyway, as you are then free to pair a 5/6/7/8 speed cassette / freewheel with it of your choice.

Suntour did, in both, down-tube and Bar con version, a ratchet/ friction shifter which shifts with tiny clicks one way and friction the other, which are the roll-royce of friction shifting

Top Bottom