Finding a person's date of birth. Is there an official register I can access?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My late father would've been 90 this coming March. His birth date was one of those that didn't stick in my mind. Some do, some don't. Anyway, No one I know will know it apart from his brother who I haven't seen since 1984 and I'm not sure if he's still alive as he'll be 87 if he's still here. I looked online and found that you have to pay to find these things. I'm not being a tight wad, but 40 quid to find out a date they might just make up, no thanks! Is there some official register that I can access, or maybe phone a place up that keeps such a thing? It's March in 2 days time as I post, so I'd like to find out asap. Something tells me he was born on the 23rd, but if it was early in the month then I'm going to miss the date. Yes, I know I should've found it earlier rather than leaving it till the least minute, but I thought my brother had mum and dad's birth and death certificates, but when I sent him a text the other day asking and expecting a reply with the exact date he said he only has mum's birth certificate. I'm sure he showed me our dad's birth certificate when mum died 3 years ago.🤔 Anyway, he says he doesn't have it so.....

Any suggestions fellow CCers?🤔

AndyRM

XOXO
You can get a 14 day free trial on ancestry.com.

Alex321

Veteran
You can get them from the government
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faq.asp

You can search for free, but on the government website they don't yet have them, all online, and the period you want probably isn't.

But in one of the pdf's linked there, they also list a website which has most of their Birth & Death records available to search for free - https://www.freebmd.org.uk/ - They appear to have 100% of birth records for 1932, which will be the year you are interested in.

Ok, I have to ask. Why is it important?

Knowing his DOB when he was alive, on knowing where his death certificate went when he died, obviously wasn’t important so what difference does knowing now make?

Heck, for my parents, I haven’t a clue what the date of birth, death, age (at time of death) or even if they they were buried of cremated. It make no difference at all to me.
That's you though, I'm sure you may think something is important that others feel is trivial.

No suggestions then?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Heck, for my parents, I haven’t a clue what the date of birth, death, age (at time of death) or even if they they were buried of cremated.
I think you are probably in the minority, being in that circumstance and it not being important to you to find out though. Not that it matters the word is broad church.

@Accy cyclist do you know which town he is buried in? - you could enquire of parish / burial records if the online trail peters out. or have a trot around the local graveyards / speak to the odd vicar etc

D

Deleted member 26715

Heck, for my parents, I haven’t a clue what the date of birth, death, age (at time of death) or even if they they were buried of cremated. It make no difference at all to me.
My father died on the 15th February 2022 aged 97, he is being cremated on the 14th March 2022, to some this is important, he was a big part of my life & a big influence in the person I am today, I'm sorry you didn't get that from your own parents.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Lots of people choose to mark the birthday of loved ones they have lost, even if it's just setting aside time to think about them or visiting the cemetery. It's nicer than having the date of their death as the date that sticks in your mind I think.

Good luck with finding the info, Accy. Would it be on your parents marriage certificate if you or your brother have kept that?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You can get them from the government
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faq.asp

You can search for free, but on the government website they don't yet have them, all online, and the period you want probably isn't.

But in one of the pdf's linked there, they also list a website which has most of their Birth & Death records available to search for free - https://www.freebmd.org.uk/ - They appear to have 100% of birth records for 1932, which will be the year you are interested in.
You can only use "Death age/DoB" with a Deaths search. Please select "Deaths" for Type.

I keep getting the above on that page. where am I going wrong?🤔

Top Bottom