Finding it difficult to get my heart rate up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

When are the results due Ed?
I phoned yesterday to see if they'd received the results yet, nothing in yet :S

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

Blood test came back; thyroid function apparently normal!
Back to square one then :scratch:

Hopefully going on a CC ride tomorrow so will see how I get on!

Cheers
Ed

Andrew_P

In between here and there

Cheers
Ed
Ed what is your core temp like? My avg HR has dropped by around 10-20% and peak HR 10% currently I am putting this down to weather conditions and not getting my core temp up high enough.

I know for a fact my core body temps are much lower than last year as I am suffering with cold hands which I never did do last year and I am not steaming @ Traffic lights either. This I have put down to being much fitter than this time last year.

I scanned the thread did you ever post comparative HR from a ride?

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

Ed what is your core temp like? My avg HR has dropped by around 10-20% and peak HR 10% currently I am putting this down to weather conditions and not getting my core temp up high enough.

I know for a fact my core body temps are much lower than last year as I am suffering with cold hands which I never did do last year and I am not steaming @ Traffic lights either. This I have put down to being much fitter than this time last year.

I scanned the thread did you ever post comparative HR from a ride?

Ordinarily on a climb I will overheat, even when it's cold conditions, to the point where I'm steaming like a train if the weather allows for it.

I wasn't cold at any point on the ride in question - was well insulated and had a tailwind so the windchill factor was basically non-existent, but notably I didn't overheat at any point either.

On an earlier ride where I had the problem I had been fighting a headwind for half the day, didn't really get the problem until I'd been out for a few hours, and put it down to simple fatigue and lack of fitness. Once the last of the climbing was out of the way I was able to spin fast enough to get rid of the acid build up, and flew home with a tailwind and a long downhill.

I don't have a HRM so can't do a comparison with any accuracy (I'm getting a Garmin Edge next payday to keep an eye on my HR) - but it's like my body is just going "No, you're not doing that" and slams the lactic brakes on almost immediately rather than it being a result of strenuous exertion.

Haven't been on the bike since then, still have a feeling of "heaviness" in my legs right now. Tomorrow's ride will be interesting!
Ed

400bhp

Guru

Cheers
Ed

Well, that's good news really. My father in law had an overactive thyroid and that was the beginning of the end I think for him.

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

How did the CC ride go..?
Thanks for asking!

Couldn't make it in the end, unfortunately. Went out on Sunday with my partner but we were riding at pootle pace, so I didn't get a chance to test my stamina. If the weather's good tomorrow I'm going to try to ride to work at high intensity (either a 25 mile hilly route or a much flatter 35 mile route) and see how I get on.

How are you doing? Did resting sort out your fatigue?
Ed

Upstream

Thanks for asking!

Couldn't make it in the end, unfortunately. Went out on Sunday with my partner but we were riding at pootle pace, so I didn't get a chance to test my stamina. If the weather's good tomorrow I'm going to try to ride to work at high intensity (either a 25 mile hilly route or a much flatter 35 mile route) and see how I get on.

How are you doing? Did resting sort out your fatigue?
Ed

Yes - It seems to have. Basically what I did was quite a few rides on the spin bike with low resistance and high cadence. I also cut down from around 125 miles each week (quite a stretch for me), back to about 50. At the moment my legs feel stronger now and I can stay in the saddle longer before having to stand up (which is what makes me feel that my legs probably just needed a bit of time to let the muscles mend a bit).

Went out on a 35 mile ride with some friends on Sunday, quite rolling terrain with some climbs and overall I was very pleased with how I performed (even managed to put in a sneaky attack at the end). I don't recall the legs burning much at all really but the cardio was working hard a few times ;-)

I think that the lesson for me here is to learn how to read my own body a little better and not to let my stubborn nature cause me to push harder than I can physically handle - All good experience though. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised when you go out on your next ride though.

ps... I should also add that I have been trying to eat more protein - rich foods (eggs, chicken breast etc).

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

Rode the hilly 25 miler this morning at a rolling average of 14.7mph. Maybe 1-2mph slower than I would have liked but not so much as to be cause for alarm.

Glad to say that on the long steady climb up onto the moor I was sweaty and breathing hard, my heart rate was definitely elevated and the feeling of burning was not the major factor restricting my pace. Felt a bit of lactic on the sharp climbs towards the end but not much more than usual.

Got 3 PBs on strava segments as well, so maybe it was a virus or something. Legs feel heavy but the numbers don't lie!

The lesson I'm taking from this is that "Hypochondria + Internet = HELP I THINK I'M DYING!" :blush:

Upstream

Rode the hilly 25 miler this morning at a rolling average of 14.7mph. Maybe 1-2mph slower than I would have liked but not so much as to be cause for alarm.

Glad to say that on the long steady climb up onto the moor I was sweaty and breathing hard, my heart rate was definitely elevated and the feeling of burning was not the major factor restricting my pace. Felt a bit of lactic on the sharp climbs towards the end but not much more than usual.

Got 3 PBs on strava segments as well, so maybe it was a virus or something. Legs feel heavy but the numbers don't lie!

The lesson I'm taking from this is that "Hypochondria + Internet = HELP I THINK I'M DYING!" :blush:

Nice work - and three personal best's into the bargain! Can't argue with performance like that ;-)

Sounding more and more likely. Don't push it in the meantime then. Let your body recover.

Licramite

Über Member
well I just downloaded a heart rate chart calculating your max safe heartrate and cycling stages for your heart rate.
after last nights bash on my turbo , pushing myself to my limit, I got to stage 2 ! I was doing (very roughly) a rate of 115 , 100 is relaxed to good warm up. - I'm supposed to be able to go upto 160 , I think I would die.

I thought the fitter you are the slower your heart goes in exercise so I,m really really fit or something is wrong.

U

User6179

well I just downloaded a heart rate chart calculating your max safe heartrate and cycling stages for your heart rate.
after last nights bash on my turbo , pushing myself to my limit, I got to stage 2 ! I was doing (very roughly) a rate of 115 , 100 is relaxed to good warm up. - I'm supposed to be able to go upto 160 , I think I would die.

I thought the fitter you are the slower your heart goes in exercise so I,m really really fit or something is wrong.

Think the fitter you are the lower your resting heart rate is , everybodys maximum heart rate will be different so i wouldnt bother with charts.

Top Bottom