Finding the right employee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
jeez its hard to find people at the moment. I have 3 lecturing posts going, 2 electronics and one for a web lecturer for a hugely successful FE college.

We've advertised twice, the first round we found 2 good'uns out of 5, lost one of them due to relocation problems. Second round we have 1 applicant for the electronics, who cancelled.. 3 for the ICT, 2 cried off and the one we liked we cant have due to visa issues.

what gives?! We'll even take people with no teaching experience so long as theyre prepared to do teacher training (a 2 year evening course).

another department advertised an entry level admin job, ideal for 17-18 yo school leavers... only 3 applied.

there are 2.5 million people unemployed at the moment, you'd think we'd have better luck than that.

:cursing:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's hard enough to find something decent with so many other applicants out there too…

what gives?

yello

Have you looked at this from the other direction? Is it possible that few people are interested in working for you?

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Have you looked at this from the other direction? Is it possible that few people are interested in working for you?

Its quite possible I suppose! Seems odd though seeing as we are one of the few colleges doing really well, not struggling to make ends meet.

LOOKS like a lovely part of the world to be located in :thumbsup:

I'd love to do the whole re-locate, new career thing, but I fear I have no Q's to do what you want, although I would be very happy to do teacher training.

I also fear I don't actually have the cojones to do the whole re-locate, new career thing either :blush:

It really IS a lovely part of the world :smile: one campus on the side of Poole Park
winter_poole_park_470_470x300.jpg

The other right above the East Cliff in Bournemouth
340381_1_propertydetailsimage.jpg

Its not a bad crack really!!

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
OMG! Where do I apply :wub:

Bournemouth and Poole college website :smile:

Its good cycling countryside too.. new forest 15 miles to the east, Purbeck's on the doorstep, the mid and north dorset hill ranges to challenge as well. Cycle paths to almost anywhere for the tourists.

Did I mention the 50 days holiday a year? and final salary teachers pension? The kids arent that bad!

Bournemouth and Poole college website :smile:

Its good cycling countryside too.. new forest 15 miles to the east, Purbeck's on the doorstep, the mid and north dorset hill ranges to challenge as well. Cycle paths to almost anywhere for the tourists.

Did I mention the 50 days holiday a year? and final salary teachers pension? The kids arent that bad!
Sold ^_^

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Sold ^_^ Out of curiosity what's the rental market like round there?

its not as bad as london, but not as cheap as further north. Before I moved in with GF I had a 1 bed 4th floor apartment right on poole quay with basically this view (although from higher up so more sea. Thats browsea Island in the distance) for £650 a month.
4d6388d0-1368-1352.jpg

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Can't see any posts that sound like the ones you mentioned, but I've just seen the SALARY they're offering for a deputy librarian :eek:

I've got to get out of the motor trade!

Its because the post isnt advertising as the closing date has passed.

I used to be in the motor trade!!! And year, they pay librarians a lot!! Our salary banding is between 20k and 32k depending on teaching quals and experience.

Pauluk

I would imagine that there are a lot of very well qualified electronic engineers that have lost their jobs in recent years due to the decimation of the industry. I guess a lot of them like me have learn't to move on to others things and don't particularly see themselves as teachers to people entering a dead end industry. I can't for the life of me see why universities are still training UK based students in electronics unless they are thinking of moving to central Europe or the far east.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
jeez its hard to find people at the moment. I have 3 lecturing posts going, 2 electronics and one for a web lecturer for a hugely successful FE college.

We've advertised twice, the first round we found 2 good'uns out of 5, lost one of them due to relocation problems. Second round we have 1 applicant for the electronics, who cancelled.. 3 for the ICT, 2 cried off and the one we liked we cant have due to visa issues.

what gives?! We'll even take people with no teaching experience so long as theyre prepared to do teacher training (a 2 year evening course).

another department advertised an entry level admin job, ideal for 17-18 yo school leavers... only 3 applied.

there are 2.5 million people unemployed at the moment, you'd think we'd have better luck than that.

:cursing:

Have you advertised on geekschat?

Top Bottom