Fined £805 for riding on the pavement!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From my local rag. The headline is probably deliberately inaccurate as the fine for riding on pavement was just £150. The rest was court costs.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16094111.Cyclist_fined___805_for_riding_on_pavement/
Fixed penalties and non payment of them have been discussed previously on these boards. If a fixed penalty isn't paid then the case goes to court. I don't know if this is why this particular case went to court but the court fees should make anyone thinking they can ignore a fixed penalty take notice.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Depending on which part of Marcham road, I’d also ride on the pavement too. It’s a very nasty stretch for cycling. Also IIRC, parts of the footpath are designated a cyclepath anyhow.

Considering the pretty high daily utility cycle usage in and around Abingdon I’d suggest the Police really don’t have enough to do....

Slick

Guru
Depending on which part of Marcham road, I’d also ride on the pavement too. It’s a very nasty stretch for cycling. Also IIRC, parts of the footpath are designated a cyclepath anyhow.

Considering the pretty high daily utility cycle usage in and around Abingdon I’d suggest the Police really don’t have enough to do....
There's a stretch of about 300 yards on my 15 mile commute that I take the pavement as well.

OP
OP
Lozz360

Lozz360

Veteran
I don't think he could deny it, he was fined in his absence.
He pleaded not guilty and then didn’t show up at court.

Ah, so most of the fine was for non payment? I thought it sounded a bit much.
No. Like I said I don't know if this started off as non acceptance of a fixed penalty or not but it would be unusual for something like this to go straight to court. Fixed penalties exist to remove minor incidents from the court's but they can only be served if there is sufficient evidence for a court case to take place in the event of non acceptance.
The costs were court costs.

From my local rag. The headline is probably deliberately inaccurate as the fine for riding on pavement was just £150. The rest was court costs.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16094111.Cyclist_fined___805_for_riding_on_pavement/
And they really reamed him on the court costs, browse http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16064809.SCALES_OF_JUSTICE___latest_round_up_of_court_convictions/
Costs are almost always £85
Eg
SAM MORGAN, 29, of Lime Kiln, Wantage, admitted driving at 101mph on the M4 in Berkshire, a 70mph limit zone, on May 4. Fined £500, victim surcharge £50 and costs £85. Six penalty points.

RUTH ELIZABETH BOWERS, 44, of Mill Lane, Marston, was convicted of speeding at 94mph in a 70mph zone on the A34, Chieveley, on June 14. Fined £440, £44 victim surcharge and £85 court costs. Five penalty points.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

dodgy

If he had turned up he might have used the defence that he used the path as the road was too dangerous. I believe the law does allow that as long as he's considerate to other path users.

Top Bottom