Fire and explosion proof bags for batteries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
As a newcomer to the world of e-bikes, well my wife is should I say, but I was wondering about the perils and pitfalls with the storage and charging of e-bike batteries. Firstly, I would never leave my battery on charge if I wasn't in the house, nor would I charge it in the shed out of sight of the house.
But I've just watched a rather alarming You Tube clip of a lithium e-bike battery catching fire whilst in a supposedly "fire proof" bag, it wasn't pretty to say the least!!!
So, who keeps an e-bike battery in a fire and explosion proof bag, and if so, what make is it

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Best thing you can do really is to charge and store your ebike battery in a neighbours garage.......

I wouldn't use a 'fireproof' bag in a milion years and I just follow the manufacturers instructions when charging my battery.

Dadam

Buy reputable brands of bike or at least battery and charger, not aliexpress specials or home made batteries, take reasonable precautions like not leaving it on charge overnight, and stop worrying.

Emanresu

It's not just eBike batteries. There is a risk from any battery as trips through airports with laptops will show.

Managed to lose my Varia today. Fell off while going over some of the many pothole we have around here. It didn't survive 20 minutes in the traffic though I was quick to retrace my route.

Found it and wondered why it was warm so opened it up to see the warning inside. Will put it somewhere safe until I can get it to the local dump which has containers of the stuff - beside the waste oil.

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Varia.jpg
    Varia.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 17
Some years ago there was a lot of dramatic articles in the papers about laptop battery fires.

Then ecig battery fires

now ebikes and e-scooter fire are in vogue so we get articles on them

same batteries - same problems
buy cheap and buy low quality - including the bits that prevent fires!

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
A fire proof bag… that’s hilarious! Have you ever seen a battery go up?

I spent a bit of my career in materials testing and I can offer the following:

-failures involving chemical fires are the most entertaining and the hardest to control.
-the hardware containing a runaway chemical correction of the size crated by a battery pack costs more than the e-bike is worth.
-destructive testing is a lot of fun.

funfact: you can make a substantial hole in a parking lot with about 500 grams of powdered magnesium and the right oxidizer.

Top Bottom