First 10 mile time trial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanRVV2006

last week i went to my local club and did my first ever time trial as you can guess from the title it was a 10 miler. I did it on my racing bike which does not have TT bars or anything.
Im 18 and train as and when i can usualy when its sunny and dry which isnt often in the UK. So my weekly milage can vary from 0 - 200 more often than not about 50 miles.
I did a 27-09, and was wondering is that a good time or average or poor for my first time? be honest i dont want people taking pitty on me beacuse it was my first time.
And was wondering if anyone can give me any tips or pointers to help me progress or should i just give up now.
i have a turbo trainer and a heart rate monitor handy if that helps.

Thank you in advance :biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Very respectable time, no need to consider giving up. What was the course like? what was the winner's time?

I'd suggest just do a few more if you like it, pick up training tips etc. from others at the club. A regular road bike is fine for time-trialling, at first most of the gains you make will be due to gaining experience (with pacing etc.) and training.

OP
OP
DanRVV2006

DanRVV2006

It was a pretty flat course slight uphill towards the end more like a false flat to be honest for the last mile. I feel like i went well and didnt burn up to much and felt i could go faster so i suppose thats positive signs xx(
And the winner did a 23:00

I've done two 10 mile TTs, both on pretty flat courses with the odd gentle rise. The main thing that I'll be doing to improve my time is trying to pace myself better. Did you find yourself struggling towards the end? I did. Now that I've got an HRM I'm hoping that I can keep going at a decent pace, but holding enough effort back to be able to push harder for the last couple of miles instead of blowing up.
Oh and tri-bars will make a big difference too.

My best time was 27:14, but with the improvements mentioned above I'm hoping to go under 25. xx(

OP
OP
DanRVV2006

DanRVV2006

Chuffy said:
I've done two 10 mile TTs, both on pretty flat courses with the odd gentle rise. The main thing that I'll be doing to improve my time is trying to pace myself better. Did you find yourself struggling towards the end? I did. Now that I've got an HRM I'm hoping that I can keep going at a decent pace, but holding enough effort back to be able to push harder for the last couple of miles instead of blowing up.
Oh and tri-bars will make a big difference too.

My best time was 27:14, but with the improvements mentioned above I'm hoping to go under 25. :smile:

I was strugling the whole time xx( but i was happy at the end.
And im too hoping to go under the 25 min mark , i suppose it takes time to learn how to pace yourself and change your rythem to what your body is telling you.
Good luck Chuffy i hope you do go under 25 :biggrin:

Would interval training be benificial to doing better times? and how do you do interval training?

OP
OP
DanRVV2006

DanRVV2006

trio25 said:
I'm thinking of trying one this year. All of you sound very fast to me though.

You should try one it is enjoyable. I do an average speed of 17.5 mph on my training rides so when i went to the TT i thought i was going to set a 35 min odd time and set myself the target of going under 30 mins then i would be really happy and to be honest i had doubts about how fast i could go after looking at others from the club. But you will be honestly suprised how fast you can go Trio.

DanRV
Where did you do your TT?
I notice you are based in the West Mids same as me and I fancy doing some of the Stourbridge CC events later this month.

OP
OP
DanRVV2006

DanRVV2006

lifeson said:
DanRV
Where did you do your TT?
I notice you are based in the West Mids same as me and I fancy doing some of the Stourbridge CC events later this month.

I did it with the Wrekinsport CC a very welcoming and friendly club to be honest, they gave me plenty of support and encouragement :smile:

And Stourbridge is another biggish club in the area so worth going to IMO

Good Luck with ya TT's

Did my first TT last night

Very windy conditions, thought I'd be over 30 mins but managed a 27.43 which I am very pleased with. Standard road bike with no bars etc

Winner finished in 23.57

It was a real buzz, absolutely loved it( apart from feeling a bit sick near the finish);)

Will definetly go back

bianchiboy

Thats not a bad effort really, especially with no TT bars! Get some of those or maybe some old spinachis and that should save you a minute, just practise in the position 1st and it may take some getting used to! The more times you do TTs the better you get at outputting the required power level over a distance. With some bars and after about 5 or 6 goes you'll be under 25 mins no problem!

Let us know how you do next!

bianchiboy said:
Thats not a bad effort really, especially with no TT bars! Get some of those or maybe some old spinachis and that should save you a minute, just practise in the position 1st and it may take some getting used to! The more times you do TTs the better you get at outputting the required power level over a distance. With some bars and after about 5 or 6 goes you'll be under 25 mins no problem!

Let us know how you do next!

Trying again this week with no change to equipment, but then may buy some tribars - if I still have the bug :biggrin:

Crikey - 25 mins - I will be doing back flips if I get under that time :smile:

I'll keep you posted

Top Bottom