First 10 Time trial tomorrow eve (12.5.10)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MLC

Bit the bullet and plonked myself on one

Training done so far:
stopped smoking bought a bike may 2009
CTC rides with lots of Bacon Sarnies
Oct 2009 started smoking again (stoopid)
Nov - mid Jan no cycling loads of fags and booze
Mid Jan started cycling again
early feb quit smoking
Late March started commuting and end April started going on Club Rides just going a bit faster

The only trouble is having looked at the clubs past results there is a 12 y/o girl who is doing tens in 33 minutes:ohmy:

I expect a time around 36-37 :blush:

With a goal to get into 28's by August

I may post how I got on on Thursday or I may not ......

raindog

er.....
Good luck! And give us your result.

My God, it's a bloody long time since I did my first evening ten. :blush:

madguern

Go for it , you gotta start somewhere ! I am aiming to do my first TT when I get the courage too.

I have been running the local club route on a sunday morning and my time drops each time ! My goal is to beat the guy on the mountain bike .....

Kablinsky

My first ever TT tonight as well. Very nervous. A regular route I ride is 9.8miles and I've got the time down to 31 minutes. TT tonight is 10.3 miles so without the traffic and roundabouts etc I'm hopeful of something similar.

OP
OP
M

MLC

and he survived.....10.3 miles circuitous route seven 90 degree left turns open and into a head wind for last bit I said I was expecting around 36-37 and came in with 32:33 (18.99 mph avg bragging rights can knock 3 seconds off to get me into 19mph) went off no. 5 overtook 5 and got overtook by 2 (6&7) just waiting for formal results on website to see how I done in relation to everyone else I know I shouldn't but I have a funny feeling I will come in slightly better than 24 out of 29

And spite of initial nervousness I thouroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to do it again!

raindog

er.....
Well done! Easy peasy, eh? :biggrin:

Kablinsky

MLC said:
and he survived.....10.3 miles circuitous route seven 90 degree left turns open and into a head wind for last bit I said I was expecting around 36-37 and came in with 32:33 (18.99 mph avg bragging rights can knock 3 seconds off to get me into 19mph) went off no. 5 overtook 5 and got overtook by 2 (6&7) just waiting for formal results on website to see how I done in relation to everyone else I know I shouldn't but I have a funny feeling I will come in slightly better than 24 out of 29

And spite of initial nervousness I thouroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to do it again!

Let me know when you're doing it again and I'll book myself in. I managed 31.35 on the East Hanningfield TT but I didn't have as many turns to make as you (4).

striker

Sh4rkyBloke said:
You're all b*stards!!!!! :biggrin::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

All this talk of people doing TTs is making me want to have a go now! :biggrin::biggrin:

Do it, I cycle a fair bit but bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and did first TT (31:30 for a hilly 10.1 miles) Really good fun. Went out steady averaging around 19 mph, hills in middle took their toll but by the end I was going flat out. (or at least it felt like it :smile:) Took ages to recover, but didn't want to leave anything in the tank.

I was told to remember that you are only competing against yourself and times on different courses can't really be compared.
Also my road Giant bike was not the ideal equipment compared to the line up of carbon TT bikes, tribars and streamlined helmets on display, but I was amazed at the friendliness and support of everyone there.

Due to work committments can't do every week, but really looking forward to next one I get to.

Brahan

Über Member
striker said:
I was amazed at the friendliness and support of everyone there

Ta-da! I'm glad you highlighted this point, they're all cyclists, just like us - only a bit quicker. They want more poeple to join in you see. ;)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
No-one ever* turns up at their fist time trial with skinsuit, pointy hat, disk wheels and oiled legs. Everyone who takes part has started much the same way: turned up on their commute bike and given it some stick.

*or hardly anyone anyway.

Top Bottom