First 20 miler: Happy and sad...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Garside

I don't think 20 miles is anything to be sniffed at....it's over 20 years since I last did that distance aged 36 and then it took just over an hour. I've just aquired an old Raleigh Dakota (Already have an old 1980's Halfords Commadore) and have only in the last week started riding again. I'll be glad when I can do 10 miles in an hour. So good luck with your progress.
I'm 5'6", 10 st 1 lb and aged 57.
:rolleyes:

kedab

Veteran
from one kev to another - well done :bravo:i hate hills, i live in the fen and even the gentle climbs we have are enough to vex me! i don't go out of my way to avoid them though and feel good when i get over them...you have proper hills and averaging 13 over 20 miles is something to be proud of not concerned about...get a bunch more under your belt and you'll be whistling as you go up ^_^

Berties

Fast and careful!
Be happy and build on your success,every ride is different more hills more distance only you can tell how hard you worked,could you have done more?
you will go faster and further,that is a given,we are all on a cycling journey and all wish to achieve more,its our nature as cyclists,welcome along and good luck:bicycle:

Herr-B

I'm still to get past 10 miles, and yet to tackle a hill other than a road over the A180. On holiday this week so that's another excuse but there are some bikes to borrow in the cottage . . .

From dog and bone, using Tapatalk2.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Managed to complete my first 20 miler today, done quite a few 15s but felt that 20 was a significant increase. However...
this ride took 1.5 hrs at an average speed of 13.46, when I got home, my legs were shot. I certainly felt like I put the effort in!
I ride a relatively heavy cyclocross bike and live in the south Wales valleys, so have a lot of hills to tackle.
I know you shouldn't compare, but reading through other posts, people sniff at 20 milers, especially at such a slow pace, but I can't imagine that I can go much harder / faster.

Well done! It won't be long until you sniff at 20 miles too. Just keep :bicycle:

boh67

Well done mate. I did my first 25 mile run last weekend. Elated but then sore the next day. Next target 50...

OP
OP
Kevs-the-name

Kevs-the-name

Regular
WOW, what fantastic support from you guys. thank you,
I am yet to top this ride from a distance point of view, but I have done a few 15-18 milers.
I did manage to get myself a proper road bike:whistle:
Hills seem a little 'easier' and my average times/speeds have already gone up to between 14.5 and 15mph :bicycle:
I just need to get more time in the seat...
Thanks again

Good average speed over hilly terrain, if you want to 'last' longer try an easier gear on the hills and spin rather than grind even if it means riding slower, you won't be as tired and will be able to ride 20~30~40 miles without thinking in no time.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I bought a 'sit up and beg' for no better reason than liking the style. Heavy and slow, like its rider. Over the last couple of years I've gone from my first 'epic' 4 miles at an average of nearly 12 mph to having regular evening rides of 7 miles at 16+ mph. I also do the odd 13 or 16 mile from time to time. On the way, more than 2 stone appears to have evaporated somewhere and this all seems to have happened gradually without having to try too hard, so I reckon that you can do alright by just keeping riding on, not worrying too much about what anyone else does. Those Sky ride jobs sound ok; me, I find a charity ride or two every year (modest distance, twenty something miles) to give me a target to achieve. I've found the advice about dropping a gear for a faster pedal rotation has definitely helped, a good bit of knowledge acquired from this very forum.

stephen.rooke

first 20 miler i averaged 12mph in about march, now i can do 18-20 on flat and over any distance or hills my speed usually doesnt drop below 15/16. you get better / faster overtime

Top Bottom