First Aid Kits - Who carries what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Even Star Trek First Aid kits don't contain medication, nor are the First Aiders allowed to prescribe or give medication - or that is the case according to the Star Fleet Medical Manual

4124KgPfLRL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A first aid kit is an emergency Medical Kit, typically stocked with basic medical supplies intended for minor injuries or for first responders in order to keep a patient alive until professional assistance can arrive.

Only Qualified Doctors administer medications - admittedly diagnosing with the use of a Tricorder (Note the single unit without the hand held probe of the non-medical tricorder)

Fmovieprops%2Foriginal%2Fyp_50a970463ff0e2.39566852%2FStar-Trek-Nemesis-Mark-XI-Tricorder-Hero-1.jpg

So the Star Trek reference really does support my statements - Thanks

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Only Qualified Doctors administer medications - admittedly diagnosing with the use of a Tricorder (Note the single unit without the hand held probe of the non-medical tricorder)
Epi-pens?

Epi-pens?

Ideally given by someone with training, and according to the HSE should NOT be in a First Aid kit or given by a First Aider from their own supply

An EpiPen the patient's own medication and as above if the patient instructs you to use an EpiPen, or there is a written instruction than it is no longer First Aid

The contents of an EpiPen are almost unique in that they are exempted form the usual restrictions on injecting as it is described as injecting for the purpose of saving life.

The use of an Epipen to treat anaphylactic shock falls into this category.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was told it was the one that you could give in an emergency situation to someone other than the person it was prescribed for, unlike inhalers. Though the chance of having some carrying an epipen and someone who needed it both being together is fairly remote.

Katherine

Guru
At school, we have now acquired, via the local GP, a spare reliever inhaler, to use when a child is having an asthma attack and we can't find their inhaler or it's empty, been left at home etc.

We now give medicines but there is a lot of paperwork involved.

We stock non allergenic plasters, gloves and wipes.

We have a stock of anti allergy medicine which we could use but all epi pens are individually prescribed.

We have recently been trained on the defibrillator.

I would feel a bit inadequate without some of those things but it's not practical to carry much.

After reading above posts, I'm going to add scissors to my bar bag.

subaqua

What’s the point
You are aware that the HSE govern ALL first aid training in the UK and that it is not just limited to the workplace?

If you go on a First Aid Course from the St John Ambulance, the British Red Cross or any other organisation it is to the HSE approved syllabus and they ALL say no to carrying and administering medication

But if you wish to deny the reality by erroneously claiming I am talking about my workplace then feel free
actually they don't govern ALL first aid training.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/firstaid/first-aid-training.htm

and they do love myth busting

subaqua

What’s the point
I think that the person

Which is why I said that "or it is to their syllabus"
they don't produce a syllabus for ALL first aid training. the training agencies produce a syllabus which is then approved by Ofqual as detailed in my link.

they have GUIDELINES on what must be included for first aid at work.

the red cross and other agencies use a LOT of what is in FAW for first aid training NOT intended for the workplace because it makes sense to rather than having multiple course content approved.

they don't produce a syllabus for ALL first aid training. the training agencies produce a syllabus which is then approved by Ofqual as detailed in my link.

they have GUIDELINES on what must be included for first aid at work.

the red cross and other agencies use a LOT of what is in FAW for first aid training NOT intended for the workplace because it makes sense to rather than having multiple course content approved.

All the First Aid Course are updated according to the relevant information from the independent bodies such as the UK Resuscitation Council, and that leads content for the HSE as well.

It is common ground and usually led by the HSE guidance ... The HSE remains the lead

... and the basic fact remains that NONE of these courses include the use of medication

Last edited:
What has this got to do with a cyclist out for a ride? In the words of @Moderators, stick to the topic.

Let us make this simple...

The OP asked about the contents of First Aid Kits, and another poster mentioned giving medication;

The carrying and use of medication is certainly is advised as NOT being part of a First Aid Kit and raising this point was certainly on Topic

The discussion of the advice given and the bodies who advise is also on topic

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You are discussing slightly different things in my opinion. A proper First Aid as carried to provide first aid to others has specific things it can or can't have in it. In my opinion your own personal "First Aid Kit", a collection of stuff that you are taking primarily for yourself can contain other things, including your own medication.

As @Cunobelin says you cannot offer something out of your kit, but you could give it if they asked for it. The fact that it's in your first aid kit is fine in my opinion, but it shouldn't be in it if it's a kit being carried for others. However most cyclist's first aid kits are primarily for themselves in the first instance, not because they are a responsible trained first aider.

Top Bottom