First Aid Kits - Who carries what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
You are discussing slightly different things in my opinion. A proper First Aid as carried to provide first aid to others has specific things it can or can't have in it. In my opinion your own personal "First Aid Kit", a collection of stuff that you are taking primarily for yourself can contain other things, including your own medication.

As @Cunobelin says you cannot offer something out of your kit, but you could give it if they asked for it. The fact that it's in your first aid kit is fine in my opinion, but it shouldn't be in it if it's a kit being carried for others. However most cyclist's first aid kits are primarily for themselves in the first instance, not because they are a responsible trained first aider.
But I think the lines are a bit blurred - if you come across someone who's had a minor accident and offer help, then your personal first aid kit is what you would draw on. So it still helps to be aware of the implications of giving someone (say) a paracetamol, even if it's just to remind people to say 'are any of these pills of use' rather than 'here, have one of these'.

(waits to be told that even the first of these options is a bit iffy!)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the difference would be if you offered the medication as opposed to them asking for it. And if you held a current first aid qualification possibly?

Offer no more than what should be in a first aid kit.

I think the difference would be if you offered the medication as opposed to them asking for it. And if you held a current first aid qualification possibly?

Offer no more than what should be in a first aid kit.

I made this point earlier.....

The difference is subtle, but important

If someone says to you "Do you have any Gaviscon" and you provide the two tablets then it is their request and their decision

However if someone says that they have "heartburn" and you then suggest that they take Gaviscon and they react it is your responsibility as you ahve technically decicded what is wrong with them and given medication

Not forgetting that you have decided it is Heartburn and Gaviscon is appropriate. Heartburn can be the first early warning of a heart attack, which you have excluded?

They're in a lot of public places now. The emergency services know where they are and can direct people to them if necessary. They give oral instructions.

There is an App

Some of the "intelligent" ones also assist with CPR instructions!

All are programmed so that they will only be able to shock the patient if there is a "recoverable" heart rhythm - so you cannot give a shock incorrecly

My response was to the post immediately above by Spinney, and I added the point about whether you held first aid qualifications might make a difference to how offering medication was judged.

Aplogies....

it wasn't criticism, rather support as last time the point was considered worthy of a "double facepalm"

subaqua

What’s the point
All the First Aid Course are updated according to the relevant information from the independent bodies such as the UK Resuscitation Council, and that leads content for the HSE as well.

It is common ground and usually led by the HSE guidance ... The HSE remains the lead

... and the basic fact remains that NONE of these courses include the use of medication

not disputing the fact about medication at all. very unwise to offer. I can administer oxygen - but only to Divers . If i administer it to a non diver there is a possibility of making a pre existing condition worse.

Guidance is NOT a syllabus , so as you have now posted that yourself ..........

buggi

Bird Saviour
Nothing here either although for long rides i would carry these 3 things, all of which have come in useful..

Eyewash capsules
Imodium (or other brand)
Dioralyte (which is not only good if you have the poops but also if you become dehydrated bcoz you forgot to drink enough or it's really hot).

These 3 things hardly take up any room and well worth it IMO.

subaqua

What’s the point
Imodium goes in the little pocket in the pannier.

it is great to have available at any time as it really does turn niagara falls into the elgin marbles in minutes

Tim Hall

Small zip pouch that I found in the glove box of a company car that was going back. Plasters, larger dressings, triangular bandage, micropore tape, wipes, gloves, safety pins, pen, paper, space blanket, mouth shield, spare boot lace.

Also contains suncream, antihistamine tablets and ibuprofen. (@Cunobelin , they're for me).

I take it on longer rides or group rides (I'm a Scout Leader).

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
On the night rides I took a space blanket, some Imodium, some paracetamol and some ibuprofen. Luckily when someone needed the Imodium I said 'I have some Imodium if that would help' rather than 'here take some Imodium, take it now, swallow it woman, swallow it.' (I didn't realise at the time, but I'm so glad I dodged that bullet.)

On more normal rides I don't take any of that, it's a phone, wallet and keys. Oddly, my keys have a kind of box cutter tool thing on them so I could probably remove clothing (including a glove) if the motivation was strong enough. Then again I could probably do that with the screwdriver on my multi-tool (if the motivation was strong enough). I always carry normal water to drink, so could wash wounds out with it. I'm yet to have something happened that needed treatment and I wouldn't know how to do it myself anyway. I'd probably just clean it up a bit and ride on/drag myself to somewhere with a telephone signal to call for help.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
999 and 112 should still connect even without a mobile signal/reception, it should/will pick up the next available network, it should also connect without a sim card,
A mobile phone can't work without a signal - if there are no networks available, then the phone is not going to work! What you mean is when your own network is not available, but at least one other one is.

There are quite a lot of places round here where no networks can be picked up - deep, steep-sided valleys miles away from towns and main roads. Just the kind of places where there are no call boxes, not much traffic, and very few dwellings either. You definitely don't want to be seriously hurt out there!

I do not carry any first aid kit. I don't think it would make much difference after a serious accident, and you can limp home with untreated road rash.

I think carrying appropriate spare clothing is more important. If you are stranded somewhere injured in bad weather then you want to be able to wrap up to avoid getting hypothermia while waiting for help to turn up.

Dioralyte is fine in "civilised" countries

Unfortunately it relies on local water which can be an issue

Like it or loathe the commercial aspects, Coke, Pepsi etc have safe standards

Crack the top and leave for a couple of hours to go flat and you may have a safer alternative with lots of sugar, electrolytes and other goodies

Top Bottom