First Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I have now entered my very first Audax. The distance is a very do-able 110 kms but the main thing is to see if I like the type of event. I will be doing it on the same Trek hybrid I completed the Dunwich Dynamo on so no worries about the bike.

I do have a question that I can't fins a quick answer to though. What are Information Controls. All I can find is that you are asked questions to which you have to supply the answers, like in a treasure hunt. Is this so or have I completely misunderstood? This event has 7 of these Information Controls. Is this normal for an event of this length? It seems quite a lot to me.

The event is this one: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-73/

Milzy

Guru
Do they mean Marshals ??

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The info controls are usually questions such as 'how many miles does the sign say it is to Longtown?' or 'what is the name of the parish church?'. You need to record the answer in a box on the card you get to prove you went that way.

You will get the questions when you start the ride, to stop people looking them up in advance but usually they are pretty easy if you are where the info says it is on the sheet.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Do they mean Marshals ??

No Marshals on an Audax. It's a different sort of ride to a sportive. The route will have a minimum distance and a set of controls (usually cafes or shops, but sometimes 'info' controls) where you need to get proof of passage which is either a receipt or a stamp from the control. Between these points you can choose any route you want (though it's usually a good idea to follow the one the organiser chose). There are no published times for an audax, as it's not a race. As long as you make it round between the min and max speed (usually 15-30 km/h including stops) then you are recorded as a finisher.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
The info controls are usually questions such as 'how many miles does the sign say it is to Longtown?' or 'what is the name of the parish church?'. You need to record the answer in a box on the card you get to prove you went that way.

You will get the questions when you start the ride, to stop people looking them up in advance but usually they are pretty easy if you are where the info says it is on the sheet.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had visions of people on the way round actually asking the questions, I never thought of receiving the questions at the start. I said I had never done one before :whistle:

Chutzpah

Über Member
The actual Audax UK rules for organisers state that the answer should be easy to find if you're there, but not something you hunt for, so don't panic about having to spend half an hour on a treasure hunt! Quite often it's an answer that you don't even have to stop for, you can commit it to memory and then write it down later.

As mcshroom said, it effectively proves that you've completed the minimum distance for the ride.

Now, the question is, will you remember to take a pen? (I had to lend mine to someone on Saturday ;-) )

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
This event is run by the club I belong to and I will be riding the event. If you need any advice/info on the day please feel free to ask me :welcome:

Don't forget your parachute.

RhythMick

Über Member
What would be the point of entering an Audax, then cheating instead of riding? My naive soul doesn't get it.

I plan to do my first Audax next month so good luck to the OP. Think I'll do the 160km Amber and Green from Sheffield CTC

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There is no point normally as all you would be doing is cheating yourself. However there are a few places where people may decide to do so: -

There are a few points competitions (you get 2 points for 200km, and then a point for every 100km the ride is over that) that people may choose to cheat on a longer route to get the extra points they needed. Also there are some rides such as Paris-Brest-Paris that requore you to qualify by riding a series of 200, 300, 400 and 600km by a certain date. I could see the temptation to cheat on the 600 if it's your last chance to qualify for the big ride.

I would doubt that there was much, if any cheating in Audax, but the controls and proofs of passage are there to make everyone confident that this is the case.

RhythMick

Über Member
There is no point normally as all you would be doing is cheating yourself. However there are a few places where people may decide to do so: -

There are a few points competitions (you get 2 points for 200km, and then a point for every 100km the ride is over that) that people may choose to cheat on a longer route to get the extra points they needed. Also there are some rides such as Paris-Brest-Paris that requore you to qualify by riding a series of 200, 300, 400 and 600km by a certain date. I could see the temptation to cheat on the 600 if it's your last chance to qualify for the big ride.

I would doubt that there was much, if any cheating in Audax, but the controls and proofs of passage are there to make everyone confident that this is the case.

Ok thanks

I'm not advocating cheating :dry: just pointing out that if you miss an info control , and it does happen, don't panic and think your ride is over or feel you have to back track 15 km to get the relevant answer as in my experience other riders are happy enough to help out.

Paul

Top Bottom