Wales : Clwyd First audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
graham bowers
HaHa :-))
I tend to go with the flow and work on the principle that less is more.
Oh, and my first was less than a third of the distance of fubars so I had a LOT less to worry about.
I will be asking for a bit of help with prep for my second though.
Graham

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
HaHa :-))
I tend to go with the flow and work on the principle that less is more.
Graham

Tisk :rolleyes: you'll never fit in round here with THAT attitude! ;)

afl2

Über Member
The pleasure was all mine Alan. I've just got home and have been looking for events reasonably close to me for November. The Prison Run on 14th looks doable and is under an hour away by car.
Graham
Sorry Graham
Working mornings that day, but will have to get out again.

afl2

Über Member
What is this "working" ** to which you refer ;-)
I have decided to follow Steve's aspiration to do one a month so will continue to post until I sense boredom has set in :-)
Good luck with your quest of once a month.
Hope to catch you at least another one before long

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
It could be one of a number of things, and it depends on you and what you want out of it. For example: Company, either friends or people met on the event; Catering - some Audaxes provide nosh; Motivation - doing a set event may put aside thoughts of bailing out, or if you are slow may concentrate your mind on avoiding the cut-off; Going a bit faster (if that's what you want) you may tag along with some faster riders and speed up a bit; Guaranteed tried and tested route; A bit of card as a reminder; A sense of satisfaction/bragging rights "I did the so&so" sounds a bit better than "I went for a ride" (or maybe it doesn't).

This pretty much nails it. Other things come on top: Once you have ridden your bike for more a few years, you'll get tired of the obvious routes at your doorstep, and you will fancy some variation. Moreover, you may get into the idea of doing a RRtY (or , for that matter, enter CC's century a month challenge) Riding 125 miles on a grim, cold November morning is much nicer when you do it in company.

And another thing is really long stuff. I find it ok to ride 12 or 16 hours on my own, but everything longer than 300k is really quite a grind if you're doing it alone. Audax UK calender events, when you share the agony with others, are much more enjoyable.

Plus, if you get into Audaxing, odds are that you wanna ride PBP, and then you have to do the qualifiers.

OP
OP
graham bowers
Good luck with your quest of once a month.
Hope to catch you at least another one before long
I'll probably need some. If I had a genie my wish would be for kind weather. Catch you later.

Top Bottom