Wales : Clwyd First audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since getting a road bike a couple of weeks ago I've been working my distance up with a view to trying one of the shorter audaxes as soon as I'm capable. I've decided to enter the Bala Mini Bash on 17th Oct as I did just over 50 Km yesterday - although the elevation gain on the BMB is greater.

The question I'm about to ask may seem provocative but isn't meant to be.

It's straight forward enough to work up a route of any given distance, particularly as there are on-line resources. So, what is it about doing an organised event that I'm going to find different (better?) to making something up myself and cycling it?

Graham

camaraderie maybe? the idea that you can ride roads that you may not usually ride?

even if it is on roads you may use, its amazing how differently things look when you ride your normal route in reverse.

it doesn't cost much so you've only a few quid to lose if its not for you.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
what is it about doing an organised event that I'm going to find different (better?) to making something up myself and cycling it?
Graham
That's a really good question. My answer: Not all that much

It could be one of a number of things, and it depends on you and what you want out of it. For example: Company, either friends or people met on the event; Catering - some Audaxes provide nosh; Motivation - doing a set event may put aside thoughts of bailing out, or if you are slow may concentrate your mind on avoiding the cut-off; Going a bit faster (if that's what you want) you may tag along with some faster riders and speed up a bit; Guaranteed tried and tested route; A bit of card as a reminder; A sense of satisfaction/bragging rights "I did the so&so" sounds a bit better than "I went for a ride" (or maybe it doesn't).

But it's not really an either/or. You can do both - ride your own routes sometimes, enter events sometimes. With Audaxes, you can even do both at once, by riding permanents on your own. (I've never done that, it seems a bit esoteric to me, although I have nicked bits of perm routes)

Well, this one is catered, and they are usually excellent value. Cup of tea and a nibble at the start, and probably the same at then end. I've never done an audax with food that wasn't very good value, and some are really cheap for what you get.

and you can buy a badge to mark your achievement!

BadgeBP50new.jpg

Sportives are usually expensive ways to do a ride, audaxes usually feel like value to me. I'll quote again the Ditchling Devil 200 that I helped with this year: donuts at the start, a morning tea stop, bbq lunch and as much coffee/tea and cakes as you could manage at the penultimate stop. Total price £15, which is about half they would have spent as cafes. Actually, I think some riders got their money's worth just at the final cake stop, forcing the ladies to go home to resupply, and leaving the volunteers with scant supplies to keep us going. I only got one piece of cake! :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sportives are usually expensive ways to do a ride, audaxes usually feel like value to me. I'll quote again the Ditchling Devil 200 that I helped with this year: donuts at the start, a morning tea stop, bbq lunch and as much coffee/tea and cakes as you could manage at the penultimate stop. Total price £15, which is about half they would have spent as cafes. Actually, I think some riders got their money's worth just at the final cake stop, forcing the ladies to go home to resupply, and leaving the volunteers with scant supplies to keep us going. I only got one piece of cake! :sad:

Food on the Ditchling Devil was of epic proportions! Donuts at the start and three mega food stops.

Although, to be fair, I did the Evans "Ride It S. Wales" sportive a couple of weeks ago, which only cost £20 and had a great spread of cake and stuff at the feed stop.

Fubar

Guru
Since getting a road bike a couple of weeks ago I've been working my distance up with a view to trying one of the shorter audaxes as soon as I'm capable. I've decided to enter the Bala Mini Bash on 17th Oct as I did just over 50 Km yesterday - although the elevation gain on the BMB is greater.

It's straight forward enough to work up a route of any given distance, particularly as there are on-line resources. So, what is it about doing an organised event that I'm going to find different (better?) to making something up myself and cycling it?

Graham

You are waaaay too relaxed for your first Audax - where's the 6 weeks of build up and stress?!?

Joking, that's just me. I think entering any event gives you the motivation to go and do a ride, whereas if you are riding on your own there is always a temptation to bail out if the weather is crap, you're not feeling great, etc.

The camaradare of a ride is just as good, I'm sure once you've done one you will be back for more - speaking as an experienced Audaxer... :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've never done an audax with food that wasn't very good value, and some are really cheap for what you get.

The Great Escape out of Look Mum's was a huge disappointment in the Audax food stakes.
Nothing at the start, tea, coffee, food, anything... some High 5 tabs at one control, some bananas and (I must say fantastic) flapjacks at another, and nothing at the end,

I put this down to the Audax being organised by a road club rather then the usual channels.

afl2

Über Member

Graham

Just enjoy the day. It was my first one.

I quite enjoy riding on my own (yes I'm one of those miserable old gits you find on every Audax ^_^) and yes I could just go out for a ride but the appeal of Audax for me is the structure , as in the time limits between controls and the validation of the rides completion which gives me an incentive to actually ride and the incentive to train to ride but theirs no competitive element so it doesn't matter when I finish the ride as long as I finish within the posted limits .

Paul

OP
OP
graham bowers
Well, what a delightful day, I'll definitely be doing more of these. Based on how I felt at the end, 100Km seems within reach, which really opens up the possibilities :-))

What I liked:
The route, particularly the skinny lanes on the North side of the Dee.
Three cafe visits!! Start, Control, End. Very civilised.
And especially, the chance meetings with other cyclists. What was the likelihood of striking up a conversation with afl2 of this very parish, for example. Also met another first timer, Steve (not sure if he uses CC). Anyway, he has set himself an objective of doing one audax per month for a year, so only 11 more to do. Not a bad objective to be honest.......seriously thinking about copying ;-)
The opportunity to see and discuss other peoples gear. I now have the green light to buy a Garmin btw!

What I didn't like:
Err, nothing I think.

Graham

I don't like to criticise people trying a new sport: but did you really go far enough? I'm not talking about the distance, I mean this thread. Only one page? That's no way to do audax on CycleChat. Follow the example of @Fubar and worry away at it for 33 pages (and another 4 page thread to report on it). Talking about audax is a long distance occupation. Riding it, on the other hand, only takes a few hours (or days).

:smile:

Glad you all had a good ride. Must get my new audax season started soon.

Fubar

Guru
I don't like to criticise people trying a new sport: but did you really go far enough? I'm not talking about the distance, I mean this thread. Only one page? That's no way to do audax on CycleChat. Follow the example of @Fubar and worry away at it for 33 pages (and another 4 page thread to report on it). Talking about audax is a long distance occupation. Riding it, on the other hand, only takes a few hours (or days).

:smile:

Glad you all had a good ride. Must get my new audax season started soon.

Yes, I was worried about that myself...

You are waaaay too relaxed for your first Audax - where's the 6 weeks of build up and stress?!?... :laugh:

No stamina these new boys. S'ok @jefmcg i'll enter a few next year!

Top Bottom