First big accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
5.50 last evening, tearing down Adelaide road watching the potholes, looked up to see an enormous Freelander turning right from the oppo lane, and feet in front of me

didn't so much as twitch before piling into it just in front of the door, way over the top, somersault and landed headfirst and rotating into the gutter and across the curb, ouch

stayed down without thinking, caught the curb across my right side, stunned/shock, the happy chatter of witnesses that saw everything, a top bloke that was 'right behind you' was excellent, keep me talking, bandaged a man sized scrape down my right arm that made a frankly alarming puddle of blood in the road

started to be helped up after a while, thinking i was fairly ok. and went back down again with a yelp as something hurt big time in right shoulder

coppers and ambulances all arrived in good order

ooh there was another cyclists chattering away in the background telling me how impressive the accident had been, he's done that but nothing like as high or as far, it was superb etc

and whoever called the ambulance told them i was doing '25-30' at the time

erm thanks for that, I wish. maybe 25

four hours in the Royal Free, x-rays, all ok barring a close fracture of the tip of the Acromio-clavicular joint, top of the shoulder to us laymen

a jolly Irish male nurse scrubbed all the grit and dirt and dried blood out of the man sized scrape, ouch, and stuck great big very sticky dressings onto my hairy arm

two red and two white pills for what feels like every single muscle on the right side of my torso being strained and torn, that really hurts

erm that's it really, two- three weeks in a sling, fracture clinic in two weeks

what of that lovely four month old Cannondale you cry? Both wheels making cicus clown shapes, mudguards disassembled, the Lbs will have to assess thereafter

got drivers details from the cops, it was his mum's car and he was a100m from home, tsk

really sore but could have been shags worse so no complaints here, I realy should have seen it earlier but i think he just went for the turn without slowing to beat the car behind me

ooh and my head/helmet gave the road a firm tap as part of the landing, the liner is cracked right through for about an inch above the point of tap, nice one Giro

rest of this week off for sure, to practice wincing and yelping, won't be much getting picked up from the floor today

ooh, and the dhb 2006 bib longs that arrived during the day and were put on for testing 15 minutes prior were really excellent, and as an added bonus, nice and warm in the hossy

:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yikes!:biggrin:

Glad you lived to tell the tale.... Sounds spectacular!

I'm sure I've read that sometimes it helps not to have time to react, because your reaction would generally be to tense up, making any fall worse. Still, you'd rather not be in the position at all I guess...

Hope the week off isn't marred by too much pain;). Is Giro one of the companies that offer a discounted helmet replacement after an accident?

Spectacular shunt, well done.

Glad you're ok and no serious harm. Remember to keep the painkillers next to the bed so that you can take a couple first thing, otherwise getting out of bed can be a bugger.

Keep records of absolutely every expense associated with this - bike, clothing, loss of earnings, physio, massage etc.

Fricking 4x4s. I'd cull the lot of them.

Phew - glad it's nothing major. The key things to remember for the claim are the constant back pain, the personality change, the impotence, the nightmares, the flashbacks.................:biggrin:

Glad you're ok Tynan, a nasty accident for sure.

Not much I can say really other than "Get well soon" !! Seriously though, take it easy the next few days as you've had a BIG shock to the system.

Tetedelacourse

No luck Tynan. Glad to see your fingers are still up to typing! Going by your description of the accident you are a very lucky ducky. Hope you get fully recompensed and back to full fitness asap.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
thank-you one and all, lucky indeed although I've alwa been lucky in the matter of major impacts, this would be the first time I've needed the hospital, still, landing on the curb isn't a good idea

that initial thread was painfully picked out with the left hand I thank you to know although they're both going now, shoulder's fine as long it doesn't take any arm weight or generally do anything

LBS mechanice doesn't like the look of the forks or the frame, the words 'write off' have been uttered, being given the proper check now

perhaps sir gets the chance to get a proper road bike after all, go even faster erm ... umm ...

and fear not on the PI claim, the lady wife is a barrister and is rightly indignant about someone hurting the light of her life (something likek that) already taken plenty of snaps of me in the hospital, asking the nurse to get out of the way and stopping him dressing the scrape so she could get a snap

I've seen the one of the arm pre clean and it's impressive, I'll post that later on for oohs and aahs

And she's rather peeved that what will doubtless be freak show side show bruises are yet to appear (us old fellas take time to get proper sore and bruised)

suspect junior will be getting a fairly big one on mummy's insurance

thanks again all, appreciated

bonj2

I think this story is a complete load of bollocks to try and upstage prettyboytim's accident. Remember who we're dealing with here.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
bonj said:
I think this story is a complete load of bollocks to try and upstage prettyboytim's accident. Remember who we're dealing with here.

good man bonj

stand by later for pictures of the scrape, some sundry grazes and a well buggered bike

and some bruises for the weekend

you horrid man

bonj2

could be any injury pictures you've looked up on the internet bimbly. All a bit too conveniently dramatic for my liking, mate - heroic somersault, pool of blood, hard enough to get straight up again, hmmm...just a bit suspicious

Top Bottom