First Bike Project Giant Chicago MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrismawa

Über Member
Picked up my first bike project to work on over the winter. It's a Giant Chicago MTB and I picked it up for £30 which I don't think was too bad. Its a bit rusty, the brakes are seized but the drivetrain mechanics work fine. I have acquired two free bikes this week which I will break down and use for parts to keep the cost down. I want to spend as least as possible on this.

The plan is to get all the mechanics sorted so the bike works as it should then tidy up its appearance. The frame has a lot of wear and surface rust. I'm thinking of cleaning it up, removing the rust and sealing the frame, leaving its "weathered" look.

I've had look on Google but I cant find much info on this model of bike, like initial specs, cost etc.

Some pics from the advert:

On my stand taking a first look at it:

OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
Selling another bike has made my money back on this one, so its effectively "free". Plan is to renew and refurbish all the components of the bike but will leave the frame with its original weathered and rusty look. The bike isn't worth the cost of going down the route of respraying the frame. Looking to spend less than £50 on refurbishing the bike.

First job was to remove the seized brakes and replace with some from a donor bike. Cables will be getting changed, just used them to test the brakes to make sure were all working.

OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
Next up was the wheels. I was going to clean them, regrease the hubs and remove the rust.

However it seemed the freewheel was seized onto the hub. It wouldn't come undone regardless of how much force was used. So plan B was to use a set of donor wheels that had the same gearing on.

These wheels were in much better condition to start with. I regreased the baring's though as not sure on their age.

Cabling stripped off bike and bar ends removed

Clean

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
Thanks! Yeah I like the look of older MTBs. I have a new set of bar ends to go on along with new shifters and cabling. Once it's complete it should make a great bike for popping out on without having to put on SPD shoes like my other MTB ^_^

Its a while since I did any work on bikes, and I am enjoying it.

OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
Old bar ends, shifters and handlebar removed

I like the look of the flat bar but the handlebar itself is in poor condition

I have a riser bar of a donor bike which is in great condition

But not sure which I prefer! Will wait and see what it looks like with the shifters and bar ends on.

Gunk

Guru
Really nice project, I wish I’d kept my 1990s Stumpjumper, they’re great do it all bikes.

OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
More progress today! Started by fitting the new old stock shifters I got off eBay and the new bar grips. Also decided to revert back to the flat bar as I prefer the look of it on this bike.

New chain

New gear cables

Gears set up correctly so it actually shifts right now (in progress pic)

Bikes definitely looking great now! Last thing to do is fit the brake cables. In the near future it will need a new bottom bracket as well as noticed a bit of play in it.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I would just strip out the BB clean it all with wire wool and WD40, and replace with new bearings, my preference is to use loose balls, but caged are fine. It’ll take about an hour to do.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Picked up my first bike project to work on over the winter. It's a Giant Chicago MTB and I picked it up for £30 which I don't think was too bad. Its a bit rusty, the brakes are seized but the drivetrain mechanics work fine. I have acquired two free bikes this week which I will break down and use for parts to keep the cost down. I want to spend as least as possible on this.

The plan is to get all the mechanics sorted so the bike works as it should then tidy up its appearance. The frame has a lot of wear and surface rust. I'm thinking of cleaning it up, removing the rust and sealing the frame, leaving its "weathered" look.

I've had look on Google but I cant find much info on this model of bike, like initial specs, cost etc.

Some pics from the advert:

View attachment 551339

View attachment 551340

View attachment 551341

View attachment 551342

View attachment 551343

View attachment 551344

On my stand taking a first look at it:

View attachment 551346
An interesting frame & good project. I've seen similar frame decal (4130 main tube), wishbone seat stay & unicrown fork on Giant steel hybrids. Fine, underrated bikes.

OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
I would just strip out the BB clean it all with wire wool and WD40, and replace with new bearings, my preference is to use loose balls, but caged are fine. It’ll take about an hour to do.

Yeah I definitely a job I need to do as there is quite a bit of play.

An interesting frame & good project. I've seen similar frame decal (4130 main tube), wishbone seat stay & unicrown fork on Giant steel hybrids. Fine, underrated bikes.

Thanks yeah it's been a good first project bike. Think it has got me started on wanting to do more now! ^_^

Top Bottom