First charity ride pushing the miles up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
So a few of the guys are off to do the Essex Air Ambulance charity ride this Sunday in Earls Colne 20/50 miler.

I have said I would come as well and quite looking forward to it thing is I have only ever riden 35miles at a time so the extra 15 could make or break me. Mentally I am well up for it physically I have bought hydration tablets and recently made my own energy bars as well as purchasing some sis gels.

Is there anything else I need to think about once pushing the milage up from regular 30 miles to 50?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Drink plenty, the jump in mileage will be a breeze. Just take it at your speed.:okay:

AyJay

Über Member
Completed my first 50 charity ride yesterday. Previously I had only completed 40 miles in one go. I really enjoyed it. It is so much easier with a group of people. The time goes quick and the miles just go by. Go for it and enjoy.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you can do 35 miles, you'll be able to do 50.
Take it steady (no getting carried away with the racing snakes at the start ;) ), make sure you have enough water and I always carry some little packs of Haribo Tangfastic as they're great for a quick boost.
Some people swear by gels, but I swear at at them - the things they do to your guts don't bear thinking about (and that's the last thing you want on a long ride...!). Stick to the energy bars and sweets and enjoy the ride. :okay:

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Yes mate as others have said you'll do it alright , it's suprising how group riding pulls you around , best of luck Steve

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am really looking forward to it I have only been out on a couple of social rides so if they are anything to go by I really think I will enjoy the charity ride.

The guys I am going with are really good and the policy is always to keep the group together which is a great feeling knowing you not going to be left alone and in fact focuses your mind to push a little harder which has made a massive difference to my fitness.

tatr

It's good to feel you won't be left behind, but if you are short on energy dropping off the back of the group, having a snack (without stopping), and riding at your own pace in silence for a while can really help sort your head and body out.

You'll probably catch up at the next cafe anyway, and in much better shape than if you ride yourself into exhaustion keeping together.

MikeW-71

Veteran
You should have no problem, as others say. One caution though.. if you haven't tried the gels before, don't try them for the first time on the event. That would not be the time to find out they don't agree with your stomach.

Since you're making your own bars up, just take an extra couple. :thumbsup:

Don't get carried away at the start (easier said than done, I'm a right bugger for that :laugh: ) and you'll be fine.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another vote for real food.

Gels is yet another example of what the pros do often doesn't suit ordinary cyclists.

If you want to ride flat out, hour after hour, past the point of exhaustion - take some gels.

If you want to ride within yourself, for a few hours, pushing it a bit but not too much - take real food.

Top Bottom