First clipless problem - before I even get on bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I put my new pedals on. They are Shimano M520's that I got for the very reasonable price of £18.99 from chain reaction cycles online. They even came with detachable flats with reflectors so bargain.
The problem came when I tried to attach the cleats to my LIDL bike shoes. They went on fine. But after a few trial unclips, the cleats worked a bit loose. So I tightened them, only to fine that this stripped the threads in the cleat mounting plate in the shoe. I got the plate out the shoe and it is evidently made of poor quality monkey metal and it is obvious why it failed (or maybe I tried to tightened them too much). My question is can I get another replacement cleat plate from anywhere? It would be a pity to just give up on the shoes as they are great apart from the cleat plate.

Zippy

Sounds like a trip back to LIDL for replacement or refund. You have a right to buy a product that matches its intended use - these clearly do not.

GrasB

Veteran
Every time I've bought new genuine Shimano SPD peddles, cleats & shoes I've had a Shimano attachment plate. I assume you've got these, if so can you use it in the LIDI shoes?

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
I could get a refund, but looking at the plate, I have bent it so I reckon I overtightened them too much. The pedals came with cleats, but no attachment plates. If replacement plates are available for a small cost, it wouldn't be worth the hastle of getting a refund and trying buying some more. How tight should the screws be?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Gixxerman said:
I could get a refund, but looking at the plate, I have bent it so I reckon I overtightened them too much.
No you didn't. They're obviously not strong enough. You have to tighten them *really* tight, or they loosen, and you end up being unable to unclip, and going down like a felled tree. I tighten mine (on Shimano shoes) as tight as I can...short of breaking the allen key - never had any problems.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The threads on the Lidl shoes are indeed made of cheese.
I took both my first pair, and my OH's first pair back.

I think the guy in Lidl was used to the complaint. I'd hardly opened my mouth before he said "Refund? Come over to the till, I'll do it straight away"

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
Bugger. I've used Lidl shoes for commuting for a couple of years now and never had a problem with getting the bolts really tight.

I hope they've not changed supplier and that it's just a bad batch that you got yours from because they were surprisingly good value for the price.

Alf

Guru
Arthur said:
Bugger. I've used Lidl shoes for commuting for a couple of years now and never had a problem with getting the bolts really tight.

I hope they've not changed supplier and that it's just a bad batch that you got yours from because they were surprisingly good value for the price.
Mine are OK too. I have only seen them once in our local Lidl though. I thought they were just a one-off. The only gripe I have is that they are a bit heavy. Mine had rubber bits that you could screw back on if you took the cleats off. That was useful on tour because I could use the shoes for going walking without risking slipping around too much if the cleats hit a rock.

Alf

MajorMantra

When I got my second pair of Lidl shoes two of the threads stripped immediately. I reversed the plate in the shoe and tried again and they worked so I kept them. I think that may have been an error as today I managed to rip out one of the screws. ;)

I've probably lost my receipt by now - reckon I could get my money back?

Matthew

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
LBS have them at £1 each. They are currently on back order and should be here come the weekend. Just in time for me to try them out.

I forsee another clipless moment thread in my future for different reasons. It seems like it is inevitable. What is the normal procedure for falling off whilst still clipped in? What damage is the bike / me likely to sustain?

GrasB

Veteran
Excluding pride generally very little damage few bruises. Some scratches (both the bike & my self) & a slightly bent rear mech hanger is the worst I've had.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Gixxerman said:
What is the normal procedure for falling off whilst still clipped in?
First, you think 'oh shoot!' Then you fall over.

Anything else you need help with, don't hesitate...

Top Bottom