First club run nerves - need advice!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Just need a bit of advice from the more seasoned cyclists on here.

So... I have got my first club run tomorrow with a local club, which has been described as quite friendly, the try before you join ride.

And so today, after a week of feeling confident, in come the nerves and doubt. Eeeek.

I have been back on the bike since late January, after a lay off since I got hit by a car about eighteen months ago.
Have been doing regular weekend runs with mates of about 30 to 40 miles at about 13-14 mph, and four weekday evening runs of about 20 miles per week, normally with some nasty climbing in it at about the same average speed.

All was fine, until yesterday, when in the teachers sack race at the sixth form sports day, due to my massive feet, I took a tumble (in front of the crowd, in a suit and on film) and fecking hurt my right quad.

Then came the doubt about my ability, whether I will hold up the group, make the distance, whether my quad would fall off during the ride etc...

My question is - based on the above should I just mtfu and go along or leave it until later in the year when I deem myself 'fitter'? Btw the group I will be riding with is described as 'steady' rather than fast!

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

I didn't come last in the sack race in the end.

Every cloud eh...

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Give it a go but drop off the back if any pain starts in the quad that you pulled.Good Luck. Im an egg and spoon champion myself.

User269

If they start going too fast, tell them that it's an inappropriate speed for a ride of such length, and that if they were all wearing heart rate monitors they'd know that they were in the wrong training zone, and were anaerobic. Chatting about why people are/are not wearing helmets, commenting on their inefficient position, saddle height, choice of tyres etc. may also help to slow them down and endear them to you, but if all else fails announce that the pace is far too slow for the workout that your personal coach had planned for you today, and disappear up the road. In the direction you've just come from. I can guarantee nobody will try and keep up with you.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If they start going too fast, tell them that it's an inappropriate speed for a ride of such length, and that if they were all wearing heart rate monitors they'd know that they were in the wrong training zone, and were anaerobic. Chatting about why people are/are not wearing helmets, commenting on their inefficient position, saddle height, choice of tyres etc. may also help to slow them down and endear them to you, but if all else fails announce that the pace is far too slow for the workout that your personal coach had planned for you today, and disappear up the road. In the direction you've just come from. I can guarantee nobody will try and keep up with you.
What?

You will be fine Pikey. There are always genuine nice people on club rides who will bend over backwards to accommodate you and make you feel welcome. If after the ride, and a good chat, you feel that the club isn't for you then so be it. To not go along though is just an opportunity missed to meet some new people and make some new cycling buddies.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

You will be fine Pikey. There are always genuine nice people on club rides who will bend over backwards to accommodate you and make you feel welcome. If after the ride, and a good chat, you feel that the club isn't for you then so be it. To not go along though is just an opportunity missed to meet some new people and make some new cycling buddies.

That's sense.

Tbh, if I didn't go I'd be on a solo ride wondering 'what if'

The quad feels fine after a few of wadworth's finest recovery drinks, I'll just suck it up, think rule #5 and go.

Cheers for the replies people!

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Give it a go but drop off the back if any pain starts in the quad that you pulled.Good Luck. Im an egg and spoon champion myself.

Ah, now that would have been a sensible race to have chosen....

Chris Norton

If your struggling, get dropped and no-one stays with you to help/encourage you, then frankly, you shouldn't be riding with them. Not because YOU arn't good enough but club rides should be about staying together and having a good ride NOT leaving people behind. So that would be a bunch that I wouldn't want to ride with. Go and ride and enjoy the company. BUT do not overdo the quad.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Well, the aluminium falcon is clean and lubed ready, so it would be a shame to let her down.

Cheers for the encouragement, last beer done, ready for the am early start.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If your struggling, get dropped and no-one stays with you to help/encourage you, then frankly, you shouldn't be riding with them. Not because YOU arn't good enough but club rides should be about staying together and having a good ride NOT leaving people behind. So that would be a bunch that I wouldn't want to ride with. Go and ride and enjoy the company. BUT do not overdo the quad.
+1
assuming the club is of a reasonable size they will normally have rides of different abilities and lengths to suit different riders.the club i ride with operates a no drop policy for all except the fast group but this is stated from the start and the speed of the rides is published on the club website etc.
last Sunday was a perfect example when we all stopped to help a guy with a double flat , he only had 1 tube so i gave him one of my spares .
You will also find that riding with a group you will get a drafting effect so will be able to keep up with a faster group once you get enough confidence to ride close enough to the rider in front to get a tow , put not to close to start ! and try to ride slightly to one side so if you do have a bump you do not scrap the rider in front rear mech .
watch and listen as any club worth its salt will have someone looking out for newbies and keep and eye and ear for call /points for hazards as they can be invaluable .
this is not a definitive list and clubs have their own variation but this is a helpful guide..
http://www.redhillcc.co.uk/page/hand-signals-and-shouts
http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-group-support--21250/

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Well, what a tart I was to feel daunted. The above posts were all spot on.

It was great!

The rest of the club really helped the new boy. Really only struggled on one hill, and some if the group held back.

Hopefully one day I'll be fast enough to help out another newbie! Lol.

Top Bottom