First commute for a month

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
Haven't ridden at all for a month, been ill with a chest infection so have been stuck with the car / bus......

Took the plunge today even thought this is my first winter of commuting and the car was showing -3. I was actually quite surprised. I had a bib, base layer on the top half, fleece and light windproof over the top plus some ski socks and a Buff for my neck / under the helmet. Purchased some £15 gloves from a shop in town that are wind and waterproof (apparently!) and i was nice and warm (apart from my face that is).

The gloves were slightly awkward with the STi's but i'm hoping to move from my cyclocross to a hybrid quite soon anyway. Just prefer the more upright position for my back and neck (previous car accident issues!) and want to get discs as my current cantilever brakes don't give me much confidence in the wet.

Its great to be back and am really looking forward to the ride home! (first dark one too, hopefully my cheap ebay light will be ok!!)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Good to hear you're back on the bike.
Once you get going on your commute, even at lower temps, a few light layers is all that is needed.
For this freezing weather I wear a base layer, long sleeve cycling jersey and a Montane featherlite. And that keeps me nice and toasty.

scouserinlondon

I cycled yesterday for the first time in three weeks after a similar absence, and decided to let it thaw out a bit more. I wasn't that cold, with a base layer short sleeved jersey and a windproof, and I enjoyed the ride. But there was far too much black ice on the backstreets that make up the first third of my commute and I spent the first 20 mins not clipped in dodging ice patches and generally bricking it.

I state it here for all to see, I'm not a sub zero cyclist.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I cycled yesterday for the first time in three weeks after a similar absence, and decided to let it thaw out a bit more. I wasn't that cold, with a base layer short sleeved jersey and a windproof, and I enjoyed the ride. But there was far too much black ice on the backstreets that make up the first third of my commute and I spent the first 20 mins not clipped in dodging ice patches and generally bricking it.

I state it here for all to see, I'm not a sub zero cyclist.

This is the case... My usual commute is through a lot of backstreets. I am sticking to the direct route on the A roads at the moment until it clears.

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
well my ride home was good (warmer than this morning!!) and my suspicions about having a crap front light are confirmed so the search for something better begins!

Top Bottom