First commute this morning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montydruitt

I've done my first commute this morning. Didn't overly enjoy it as it was very much stop / start but it's under my belt now! An hour to do 9.5 miles isn't particularly impressive but it takes me 40-45 minutes in the car so I shouldn't grumble.

Just got to get home tonight. :wacko:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's excellent, well done!!! It won't take long before you're riding much more quickly. Don't feel the need to rush though, IMO it's better to ride easy, enjoy your ride and give your body time to adapt and get faster.

Cycle commuting is so good you're already where you want to be as soon as you get on the bike.

garrilla

BentMikey said:
Cycle commuting is so good you're already where you want to be as soon as you get on the bike.

+1

Well done on starting the commute at this time of year. Once you get used the roads, the traffic densities, etc, you'll be doing your 9.5m in 45mins I'm sure.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Yay you!! It's got to be better than being stuck in a cage with lots of other unhappy cagers around you... all that freedom and fresh(ish) air.

You'll have the time down in no time.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Congratulations! It gets easier (and more enjoyable) - but an hour for 9.5 miles ain't a bad start. Incidentally, you can cut right down on the stop / start by going through red lights....

:biggrin: :blush:

Perry

Well done on your first ride!

No doubt your workmates asking how long it took along with a bit of pi$$ taking. Stick with it and you'll have the last laugh.

Like all the others above say, take it easy and enjoy the ride.

My advice would be to get in a routine when you get to work, like where you firstly put your bike, where you have a drink and cool down, where you wash and where you get ready. Once those were sorted, that's when my ride was complete.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Good job!

Don't worry about the time - save the record breaking for the weekend (imo, a commute is a less than ideal place to worry about pbs...) :-)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
montydruitt said:
I've done my first commute this morning. Didn't overly enjoy it as it was very much stop / start but it's under my belt now! An hour to do 9.5 miles isn't particularly impressive but it takes me 40-45 minutes in the car so I shouldn't grumble.

Just got to get home tonight. :wacko:

Smashing, and well played.Thats a good distance and I personally I would suggest not to get too fixated with trying to improve that time.

That way you may start to enjoy the whole ride a lot more...

As you carry on it will become a lot easier and then, if you feel like it, you can try to beat the car commute time....or just continue as you are and enjoy your commute (whilst keeping fit and flexible)

I have started to slow my journey down on occasion (translation...almost every time!!) especially when I'm just not in the mood. It provides a totally different journey that is generally always more enjoyable (if a little less physically rewarding)

Great job

Jonny

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
(imo, a commute is a less than ideal place to worry about pbs...) :-)

Couldn't agree more

Top Bottom