First day of Spring....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Are you calling yourself sensible, Fabbers?

Remind me who has just agreed to cycle 300 miles in 24 hrs?

I'm very happy to call today "Spring".
1614598273096.png

(and over the weekend Nature was in danger of jumping the gun - certainly not waiting until the Equinox!)

..well it is for me and anyone else sensibly who runs their seasons according to the 3 month pattern:

March, April, May = Spring
June, July, August = Summer
Sept, Oct, Nov = Autumn
Dec, Jan, Feb = Hibernation....

Reluctant as I am to put a dampener on the joys of spring, which I absolutely share, I'm never quite sure about this. For example, in my mind early September is usually still summer-ish whereas early March is usually pretty chilly?

lane

Veteran
Various definitions of the seasons. There is a Pagan in our village who publishes an interesting online blog. I quite like his definition of spring; which essentially says- can't recall the exact wording - it is spring when it is spring.

Reluctant as I am to put a dampener on the joys of spring, which I absolutely share, I'm never quite sure about this. For example, in my mind early September is usually still summer-ish whereas early March is usually pretty chilly?
OK, so I did some more research. (see data from Quick Google below)

Sep is indeed warmer than March. But so is October. And November!
Dec-Feb are still the 3 coldest months, and June-Aug the 3 warmest. So there is a pretty obvious 4x3 month schedule there - wouldn't you say??

Weather averages

Overview

Graphs

MonthHigh / Low(°C)Rain
January7° / 1°10 days
February8° / 1°8 days
March10° / 2°9 days
April13° / 4°9 days
May17° / 7°8 days
June20° / 10°7 days
July23° / 12°6 days
August22° / 11°7 days