First day of Spring....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spring starts on March 21. It is an astronomical feature relating to the position of the earth relative to the sun.
No amount of politically correct claptrap can change that.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weathe...ns are defined as,December, January, February).

Drago

Legendary Member
I believe some definitions of Spring have it starting on the Spring equinox on 21 March.
That is the only definition that matters, considering the seasons are determined by the earths orbit and the orientation of the earths axis with respect to the sun.

Even leaving that aside, it's too early to celebrate. It was only a couple of years ago when we were into BST in April and we saw snowdrifts deep enough to seallow cars without a trace.

GetFatty

Über Member
Reluctant as I am to put a dampener on the joys of spring, which I absolutely share, I'm never quite sure about this. For example, in my mind early September is usually still summer-ish whereas early March is usually pretty chilly?
My understanding was the seasons change according to the equinox and the other thing so it's 21st March; 21st June; 21st Sept; 21st Dec

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
..well it is for me and anyone else sensibly who runs their seasons according to the 3 month pattern:

March, April, May = Spring
June, July, August = Summer
Sept, Oct, Nov = Autumn
Dec, Jan, Feb = Hibernation....

Woo hoo!
Oh no it isn't , another 19 days to wait still. The position of the earth relative to the sun decides when spring is, not some pen pusher in an office.

icowden

Veteran
There are different springs.
Meteorological spring is March / April / May.
Astronomical is vernal equinox to summer solstice (approx 21 March to 21 June)
Ecological spring varies and is based on when flora and fauna start to change.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It's definitely Spring like in Manchester today :sun::sun:
[/QUOTE

C'mon lad it's raining really.

gom

Über Member
My understanding was the seasons change according to the equinox and the other thing so it's 21st March; 21st June; 21st Sept; 21st Dec
It always seemed to me that 21 June, being the longest day, should be in the middle of summer, with other seasons similar.
Of course this does not take account of thermal lag, and mentioned above.
So unless I have an appointment specified as only e.g. "the first day of spring", I feel I'm free to choose whatever season boundaries I like (within reasons).
Enough daffodils now out for it to be Spring to me.

The Bystander

Über Member
Meteorological spring is March / April / May.
Astronomical is vernal equinox to summer solstice (approx 21 March to 21 June)
Ecological spring varies and is based on when flora and fauna start to change.

I disregard the Meteorological definition as it is only exists for statistical convenience.
I'm happy to accept the equinoxes and solstices as indicators of the change of season but Ecological spring fascinates me as I heard somewhere that it starts in the south and then proceeds northwards across the country at roughly walking pace. Probably apocryphal but I like to think of nature proceeding at a leisurely pace rather than being defined by the Met. Office.

Top Bottom