First day of Spring....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
This is an extract form a blog written by a pagan in our village, which is often an interesting read. This is his take on spring, which works for me:

"For those of us who look at seasonal calendars and truthfully, I find such calendars fascinating, the news that metrological spring began on Saint David’s Day the 1st of March 2018, is itself rather amusing. What is shown clearly however, it that our modern society for perfectly good administrative reasons, measures times in a fixed, repetitive and predictable manner. True time and the true seasons are obviously less predictable. The boundaries between seasons are less clear, as there are apparent overlaps, a merging and a gradual move from one seasonal tide to another.

I saw the first stirrings of spring on the 1st of February, when I spotted the first flowering snowdrops in a neighbour’s garden. February began with fine, clear if cold days. This is for me Lambtide and for others Candlemas. This is the precursor to the true spring and the beginning of the spring tide, when the new growth of verdant nature begins to sally forth from the slumber of a dark winter. It is however, not at all unusual to have snow in February. We can look forward to the midpoint of the spring, the actual equinox but the cold snap that we are currently experiencing, reminds us that the world about us does not conform to an artificial, manmade calendar."

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Back to a base layer, buff, jacket, winter tights and full gloves for my Sunday ride earlier, but once the sun was in my face it felt like Spring.
In fact, I got a bit carried away with thoughts of Spring , and instead of roasting a chicken this evening evening I did a Spatchcock chicken on the BBQ, cooked over lumpwood charcoal. Rather tasty.

First BBQ of the year; must surely mean the first mow is overdue.

GetFatty

Über Member
Back to a base layer, buff, jacket, winter tights and full gloves for my Sunday ride earlier, but once the sun was in my face it felt like Spring.
In fact, I got a bit carried away with thoughts of Spring , and instead of roasting a chicken this evening evening I did a Spatchcock chicken on the BBQ, cooked over lumpwood charcoal. Rather tasty.

First BBQ of the year; must surely mean the first mow is overdue.
First mow was two weeks ago......

This is an extract form a blog written by a pagan in our village, which is often an interesting read. This is his take on spring, which works for me:

"For those of us who look at seasonal calendars and truthfully, I find such calendars fascinating, the news that metrological spring began on Saint David’s Day the 1st of March 2018, is itself rather amusing. What is shown clearly however, it that our modern society for perfectly good administrative reasons, measures times in a fixed, repetitive and predictable manner. True time and the true seasons are obviously less predictable. The boundaries between seasons are less clear, as there are apparent overlaps, a merging and a gradual move from one seasonal tide to another.

I saw the first stirrings of spring on the 1st of February, when I spotted the first flowering snowdrops in a neighbour’s garden. February began with fine, clear if cold days. This is for me Lambtide and for others Candlemas. This is the precursor to the true spring and the beginning of the spring tide, when the new growth of verdant nature begins to sally forth from the slumber of a dark winter. It is however, not at all unusual to have snow in February. We can look forward to the midpoint of the spring, the actual equinox but the cold snap that we are currently experiencing, reminds us that the world about us does not conform to an artificial, manmade calendar."

You can actually calculate the speed of spring based on its progression from the south to the north. I seem to recall it's just under 2mph.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
You can actually calculate the speed of spring based on its progression from the south to the north. I seem to recall it's just under 2mph.
Must be coming M1 & M62 then.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Monty Don says in today's Times that we should stop being macho and just let our grass grow. I'm going to run that by SWMBO later........
I'd have started earlier, down here in the balmy (barmy?) South West, but just waiting for a mower part..

However there do seem to be a lot of folks getting into the water already..

Absolute nutters imo

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not even a cameo by Hasselhoff could boost audience numbers for the Devonian reboot of Baywatch

Its all part of my dastardly plan to keep the thronging ( thonging ?) hoardes at bay this summer :laugh:

People don't seem to understand that having a 'staycation' mean 'stay in your hoose'

Not all come thundering down the A303 to clog up our beaches :stop:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It may well be Spring but the weather has, and still is, been awful since the start of the year here in SE Lakeland. Either freezing cold or very wet - mainly the latter and it is becoming a right PITA.

Top Bottom