first electric recumbent trike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

billym0404

let the tyres down a little and its better. i think its because id never riden one before, so i will change my word to responsive. if you hit a bump you know about it.

OP
OP
B

billym0404

ive nearly finish my second conversion, few small bits to do. its a performer, but being honest if i new now what i no when i ordered it i would have bought it. the trike itself is ok though all in with dutys and VAT it ended up costing £1400. it does have a couple of issues or worrys. the front axles are very thin, i would like to hammer them. it also has no rear brake and no fitments for one. i did devise one but what i used was 2 thin and it bent first time i broke hard. anyway i squeezed a 700c 500w rear wheel in. and squeezed is the word. about 1mm left. Ive fitted 2 dolphin batteries, need to find a DPDT switch to fit them properly. it pops along canny. ive got another KMX to do but thinking about chopping the back end of and fitting a suspension back end.

Attachments

• P8150088.JPG
    P8150088.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 63
  • P8150089.JPG
    P8150089.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 67
  • P8150090.JPG
    P8150090.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 64
Out of interest, how much drag is there in a hub motor wheel when the motor's not running? Hub dynamo level, more? I can't help but think that all the magnets and windings inside must generate a bit of resistance.

OP
OP
B

billym0404

i tend to keep it on setting 1 at the least as that seems to counter act any drag. just been out on my first big run 14 miles. keeped it on 3+ constant to test the battery range. does about 14mph on setting 3 on the flat. top speed peddling 21 and down a hill 29mph lol. could maybe do with a bigger front spoke, may be 48t.

EAPC regs states on an electric trike all wheels should be braked .

On a standard "geared brushless motor " there should be almost zero drag as the motor drives though a spray clutch system that allows the system to freewheel when not in use.

I had a rather heavy battery pack rack mounted above a 26" wheel and yes it flipped very easy .
The 36v 10ah LiPo4 batteries l have on a couple of trikes are mounted about 4" above the ground . They keep the cg low.
My bottle batteries screw into the seat back and the weight doesn't affect the handling , even when thrown about .
we have had 40+ mph on down hill runs and the trikes are still stable with 160 - 203mm discs fitted , 180 front and rear are enough to stop you in a hurry!

regards Emma

fatjel

Veteran
I've been thinking of converting my trike to electric for a while now.
Is very interesting to watch how you all get on

OP
OP
B

billym0404

almost done, the white KMX has done about 50 miles now few teething issues with gears but seems sorted now. the performers all done and flys but having trouble fitting a rear brake. and my other KMX is also finished apart from i had a problem with the PAS senor but fixed now just needs some cable ties. so i now have a 250w new KMX typhon with larger wheels, a used 500w KMX viper and a performers 500w lol

OP
OP
B

billym0404

EAPC regs states on an electric trike all wheels should be braked .

On a standard "geared brushless motor " there should be almost zero drag as the motor drives though a spray clutch system that allows the system to freewheel when not in use.

I had a rather heavy battery pack rack mounted above a 26" wheel and yes it flipped very easy .
The 36v 10ah LiPo4 batteries l have on a couple of trikes are mounted about 4" above the ground . They keep the cg low.
My bottle batteries screw into the seat back and the weight doesn't affect the handling , even when thrown about .
we have had 40+ mph on down hill runs and the trikes are still stable with 160 - 203mm discs fitted , 180 front and rear are enough to stop you in a hurry!

regards Emma
the little KMX has a rack battery done about 50 miles now and the balace seems great. the performer has 2 dolphins attached to the seat. and the other kmx has another rack battery. have had a big run yet but seems steady enough.

Top Bottom