first electric recumbent trike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Smirks, must be the home bike builder trait. Chop, Hack, Weld, Ride it like you stole it kind of thing? I should really have grown out of it. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
It need to be adjusted to get it down the the legal 15.5 MPH when using the throttle and no PAS

Absolutely. What the OP has at present is a moped.

OP
OP
B

billym0404

so my second build KMX cobra is turning into a right pain in the bum. i bought it second hand and its not been maintained in a while. first the rear brake, changed the cable still crap, changed the caliper still crap, in the end it was a lever. cant see what wrong with it but once changed it was great. so next the back wheel. i put a 26 inch with a big Tyre and no matter what it caught the mudguard. in the end i cut 3 inches of the end and its ok now. i changed the front crank to a new single 42t i had. which was a big help and the front derailleur was crap. the steering felt really tight. i checked the tracking and it was a mile out. did that still not great. so i stripped the front end and greased everything. feels better now. now just the chain and gears to sort. i put a 9 speed cog on the back and i think because its an 8 speed chain that's very warn and only an 8 speed shiftier, it causing a lot of jumping and the gears arnt right. so ive ordered some new chains and a new 9 speed shifter and hopefully that's gonna finish it. i have just done 10 miles on it (500w rear) and it was fun still lol

Smirks, must be the home bike builder trait. Chop, Hack, Weld, Ride it like you stole it kind of thing? I should really have grown out of it. :laugh:

WHY ? :evil: ..... The only motor we had when we were younger was a fag card in the spokes and a peg.

Later morning trike ride :sun: complete , :highfive: and dinner :hungry: over ......

Now for afternoon tea on the patio. .....:hugs: .... :cheers:...

regards emma

Drago

Legendary Member
Technically and legally its 15 mph +/- 10% therefore IF you can calibrate to 16.45mph its still LEGAL.

regards emma

It must be calibrated to 15.5. The 10% threshold is a performance allowance to account for variances in accuracy of the systems.

The legislation does not permit the user to deliberately calibrate to 10% higher to exploit that threshold. It is not a calibration allowance.

EAPC regs states on an electric trike all wheels should be braked .

Do you have a link to the relevant section? All I could find was a vague reference to power output. The reason I ask is I'm thinking of putting an electric motor in a Kettwiesel which has no brake on the front wheel; I could add a hub brake to the front but then there would be non room for a motor. I do see that the current Kettwiesels from Hase now do have a front disk brake if they have e-assist.

OP
OP
B

billym0404

i almost finished my performer yesterday couple of little jobs left. took it for a run. 4 mile had a fag. decided to sine round with a fast 180 using the throttle on gravel. oops ended up on the floor looking a fool. grazed my arm but my carf must of hit the peddle or something as i have a bruise and a limp this morning. it did shift quite well, nothing like the one above but happily pops along at 20+ with little effort. now i'm going to end up with 5 conversions (lol) so i plan to keep 2 and sell the rest when fully tested and finished. to date i do like the KMX a bit better as it tends to handle the cycle tracks a bit better. ive good a 500w KMX to finish waiting for some new bits. also got a trice which i'm waiting for parts. im also picking up a TWBents today all being well. the last 2 are just going to be 250w. i'm fancying doing something more. i may have a look at fiting a trike back end and Turing one into a quad

OP
OP
B

billym0404

i was out on the KMX 500 the other day. went up a really steep graverly hill, and i had theat problem back wheel couldnt get traction. ended up having to push it pat way.

Top Bottom