First ever Club Run in the morning......nervous !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Well i've contacted a local club (Gosforth Road club) & arranged to meet up in the morning for my first organised bike ride.......i'm cr*'#ing myself about it now !
Just hope i don't make a fool of myself & can keep up basically ha ha, i'm going out with the 'beginners group' but i know the term 'beginner' can encompass a lot of ability levels !
Apparently they will be looking at doing around 50 miles around the lanes of Northumberland which i've ridden round before so i kind of know what to expect terrain wise anyway.
Anyway, any last minute advise from you guy's ?
Wish me luck :hello:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Enjoy it, get properly fuelled up and remember you don't have to prove anything to anyone, ride at a comfortable pace for yourself.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
You'll be fine. My first time out with my group, I had to do two circuits before getting together the guts to go and meet everyone. Have fun and in the highly unlikely event that you find yourself struggling, don't just suffer in silence - tell someone!

Obviously make sure your bike's roadworthy and you've got your pump, tube etc, and don't forget your wallet for the coffee stop!

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

just go and enjoy yourself

Thanks i'll try.

You'll be fine. My first time out with my group, I had to do two circuits before getting together the guts to go and meet everyone. Have fun and in the highly unlikely event that you find yourself struggling, don't just suffer in silence - tell someone!

Obviously make sure your bike's roadworthy and you've got your pump, tube etc, and don't forget your wallet for the coffee stop!

Hi, my name is Wobbly......please please please don't drop me after 5 miles :whistle:

But most importantly my wallet is primed full of cake vouchers :thumbsup:

boydj

Legendary Member
Don't be afraid to sit in at the back for the first few miles until you get to know the group etiquette - the calls and signals, the way the spells at the front work and how the changes are handled. Most beginners groups will work on a 'nobody gets dropped' basis, but make sure your bike is mechanically sound and your tyres are up to pressure to minimise the chances of a 'mechanical' - don't get paranoid about this, though, because they'll all have had problems on a run at some point.

Hope you enjoy the experience.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Any club worth its salt will have a beginners group that will operate a no drop policy or at the very least have members who will make sure they stay with you to give you advice , a tow and make sure you are not left alone.
Our club operates 3 Sunday runs , the slowest being a pure keep it together ride , the medium group may splinter into 2 groups as we get nearer home but we make sure everyone has someone to get them home .We always stop to help members who need tows, puncture repairs etc along with teaching them how to ride in a group.
The fast group rides at a higher pace and after the cake stop it can be every man for himself but if your in that group you should know what is expected as its clearly stated where each ride is going and what pace is being set.
The short answer...
Go ride, enjoy it and do not worry :smile:

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Thanks Guys, the club sounds as though it should suit me well for my level of riding at the moment, i emailed the guy who organises the groups a few weeks back giving him a rough idea of what level i'm at & he replied saying i'm perfect for the beginner group on a Saturday morning & i could even have a go with the slower Sunday group.....but i think that can wait a little while ha ha

Thanks for all the encouragement & i'll report back tomorrow on how i managed (or not)

simmi

Über Member
If it's a true beginners group you will be fine, have a good breakfast a good hour before, take enough food and drink for the ride, I always take 2 bottles usually only use one but I never want to feel I have to ration myself. Try to keep close to the rider in front this will make a huge difference to your energy expenditure.
Watch what the other riders are doing, I have learnt so much since I have joined a club, experienced riders were changing gear so much earlier than me for one. If you have a cafe stop stay away from the full english you will regret it when you have to start again.
Above all else this should be an enjoyable experience so relax take it all in and smile.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I'm sure you'll be looked after by the club members on your run out with them. Let us all know how you get on, it'll be interesting for all those, like me, who haven't done a club run yet. Enjoy the coffee and cake too!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You'll enjoy yourself, and being with others who share your enthusiasm for cycling. If it's anything like in the States, we have training rides to get a person up to speed. I'm often the sweeper, because almost everyone rides faster than I. I try to make it look like my Bounden Duty and Service.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
I'm sure you'll be looked after by the club members on your run out with them. Let us all know how you get on, it'll be interesting for all those, like me, who haven't done a club run yet. Enjoy the coffee and cake too!

I'll be watching how you get on.
I'm also at the stage of wondering about going out with my local (big) club. It's scarey but I need to get used to riding with others, there'll be lots of people on the roads in August for London100 and I need the experience.

Enjoy! :smile:

Top Bottom