First ever Club Run in the morning......nervous !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
You sure you went out with the right club? Doesn't match what they on their website at all.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Shame, I can only echo the recent posts about how quick they were.
I've been going to my local club runs for a few weeks now and we average out around 16 mph over 40 - 50 miles. But no-one ever gets left behind on their own.
As an example, we had a good friday 'hot cross bun' ride which was just over 55 miles and my legs had gone after the coffee stop halfway round (suspected stomach bug), nonetheless 3 members dragged me back with words of encouragement, friendly abuse and a cereal bar. As one of them pointed out, the next time it happens to someone else, I'll be more than happy to hang back and get them home (true!). It's what a club should do IMO.

Tony.

The way it should be, and probably is in the majority of clubs :whistle:

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Thanks for all the comments, the more i've reflected on today's outing the more i'm disapointed in the club actually after hearing tales from some of you & i might look for a different club to try out in the future......although saying that i partly feel as if i should give it another shot for some reason........possibly Rule #5 :laugh:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Might be worth giving it one more go. You might have just got in with the wrong mix of riders. Only takes one or two to get the bit between their teeth and others may have followed suit. Try not to be too discouraged and if they don't live up to expectations, then I'm sure there will be a club close by, who will :thumbsup:

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Have you spoken to anyone from the club about it?

No not yet, not sure whether to bother or not to be honest....don't want to sound like a wimp whinging that i could'nt keep up if you know what i mean !

Might be worth giving it one more go. You might have just got in with the wrong mix of riders. Only takes one or two to get the bit between their teeth and others may have followed suit. Try not to be too discouraged and if they don't live up to expectations, then I'm sure there will be a club close by, who will :thumbsup:

I don't feel discouraged really, i know it'll be hard work for me to get to 'standard' which i'm not afraid of putting the work in, i'm more disappointed in the club/group mentallity because if i reversed the roles i would like to think i would be able to empathise with any new member & if needed then i would on hand to help out with a word of encoragement or advice & certainly not just leave someone on their own !

You sure you went out with the right club? Doesn't match what they on their website at all.

I was beginning to wonder myself actually !

Give it one more go, shouldn't take any longer than that to work out if they're nobbers or not.

jay clock

Massive member
Sadly the one cycling group I went out with was not dissimilar. I now run a tri club and organise my own ride where I am extremely explicit about the speed I can do (23-24kmh) and if anyone zooms off I let them go. If anyone asks to join I send them a route I can do alone in an hour and tell them to try it first.

Best of luck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I don't feel discouraged really, i know it'll be hard work for me to get to 'standard' which i'm not afraid of putting the work in, i'm more disappointed in the club/group mentallity because if i reversed the roles i would like to think i would be able to empathise with any new member & if needed then i would on hand to help out with a word of encoragement or advice & certainly not just leave someone on their own !

I wasn't suggesting you were at any fault or tryting to be critical, just that it might have been one person having a bad day that made a dodgy call not to wait, as he indicated he would.

If it's any consolation, the first club run I did ended up with myself and another one or 2 new guys getting dropped on the way home. The description of the group / pace didn't really match up to the actual ride and I asked about it on the club forum, after the ride. The responses I got were initially enough to persuade me to give them another go. Then one guy who is one of the main protagonists of the club made a few incorrect assumptions about what happened and stuck his oar in. This was only after one or 2 existing members agreed with my viewpoint. Needless to say that I never did go back for another go with them but found another club and have been very happy with them! You will come across all sorts of folk and all sorts of abilities - going with your gut instinct is usually not a bad call though :thumbsup:

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

I had my first group ride for beginners today and was very impressed in how the group leader handled the ride looking after a few slower riders, we all waited till they caught up regularly and gave them time to catch the breath.
I can't wait to go out with them again.

Mmmmmm.....it's a shame Worcestershire is a bit far away for a club ride ha ha

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
i got to the top of the hill to find the group leader asking if i was the last rider & i told him about my friend so he told me to carry on to the arranged cafe stop & he would wait for him & see us there.
Anyway i somehow caught up with the group in front of me & rode to the cafe with them, about 10 minutes later the group leader turned up without my mate, when i asked where he was he said he had'nt seen him so carried on to meet us !
:eek:
That's bad imo: something could have happened to your friend. The leader should have gone to look for him.

Top Bottom