First fixed fix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've just returned from my first proper ride on my new bike.
Thanks to SS Retro who advised me on gearing.
The first mile took me through the middle of town which are also down fairly big hills. I nearly had someone step out in front of me and had a bit of a moment, mainly because I went to free wheel!

What I found interesting is that I noticed that I was thinking about changing gear on the approach to hills, it has shown me that I am much stronger and can climb in a much higher gear than I do on my road bike. Before, I'd have just changed down and twiddled my way up the hills.

The last mile of the journey was great, a guy on a road bike came past me. (I was day dreaming:laugh:) So I upped my effort and stayed with him and had a bit of a chat. He got away on the downhills (not used to mega cadences yet!) but on the flats and up hills especially I could easily get him back. When we got to a main road I put the hammer down and I was spinning out at about 120rpm (24mph) I couldn't hold that cadence for too long and eventually my speed dropped as the road rose up. He was on my wheel and so I sat up for a bit of a breather (dropping to 19mph) before the hill through town. He passed me but I caught up with him again on the hill.

I loved every minute of my short ride and when I got back home a quick wipe down and the bike was clean and good to go.
Excellent fun. I love cycling!:bicycle:

jansman

Regular
It does not take long to realise you are fitter than you think. Riding single you have to think about your journey. I am totally singlespeed now.

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I am totally singlespeed now.
I hear you.
I reckon that if I lived in a less hilly part of the world I'd be there too. Maybe with time I'll go that way but at the moment I'm torn between enjoying my speed and liking days in the mountains. Maybe when my cadence and strength develops a bit more I may be able to have both!

D

Deleted member 1258

Welcome to the world of fixed, give it a month or two and your geared bike will spend more time standing unused than being ridden.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I find that my cycling breaks down to 40% fixed, 40% geared and 20% MTB. On the road the fixed dominates in the winter and the geared bike catches back up in the summer. I think that's possibly because the fixie is easier to clean!

SS Retro

Nice post sort of sums it up really the thing about catching geared riders on hills is so true, yes our part of the world is hilly but it is still obtainable single and fixed.

Riding fixed will only strengthen your geared rides.

Now we need pictures of this Italian one geared wonder! :becool:

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Nice post sort of sums it up really the thing about catching geared riders on hills is so true, yes our part of the world is hilly but it is still obtainable single and fixed.

Riding fixed will only strengthen your geared rides.

Now we need pictures of this Italian one geared wonder! :becool:

It's already been posted in 'show us your steel' thread, but to save the searching here she is!
DSC_0005_zps94d16d1a.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I have to concur with what others have said, I climb quicker on the fixed than gears, not so fast going downhill ,mind! Been a fixed rider for 5 years now and only recently got a hold of a Giant SCR 2.0. Fixed keeps you honest fact!

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Not wanting to diminish your enthusiasm or effect the looks of the bike, but if you are riding SS rather than fixed another brake would be useful.

Even riding fixed I run with 2 brakes, and use them.
It is fixed, and the lovely lady that nearly had the pleasure of my bike running over her would have had the same effect had I got two disc brakes on both wheels, she just stepped off the pavement without looking:cycle: .
By going to free wheel I meant that my legs momentarily wanted to stop going round, but the pedals and momentum wouldn't let them! If I had got another brake on the rear it would have made absolutely no difference, but point duly noted^_^

To be honest, where I live there is so little traffic I rarely use my brakes at all. I'm on my original brake pads on my road bike and there's little wear on them after 10,000 miles.

Top Bottom