First fixed road ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

fossyant said:
I only did it 'cos the other guy I was with said..'shall we' - he was on a 63" single speed. He set the pace, I followed trying not to pop a kneecap. :tongue:

I normally climb it geared on 39 x 19, which is 55",

Pretty impressive stuff.:laugh:

Did you get a well earned pint of Storm ale in the Wizard when you got to the top? They do quite a decent pint in there now it's been done up (and don't seem to mind cyclists marching in with SPDs and lycra).

RedBike

trio25 said:
There and back, not too bad but I think I am slower overall as going downhills involves braking! How do you cope with that feeling, my legs don't seem to spin that fast!

Still think i'll do it again tomorrow.

Can't decide if I like it or not!

I've just come to accept the fact that I am noticably slower riding fixed than single speed. I am now happy to crawl down hills with my brakes on no matter how slow I go.

This is why I do all group rides single speed even though I find fixed gear more engaging / fun.

Wocce Racer

You need to control the bicycle and not let the bicycle control you. That means peddling and not letting your legs go. Letting your legs go will seriously affect your braking through controlling the rear wheel and will damage your knees. After a while you will be surprised how fast you can peddal. Tony Doyle recorded a 56-30 for a 25 mile tt on a 72" freewheel in 1980. That is 124 rpm!

A lot of people when they start riding a fixed (not fixie, which like Campy, is an annoying American phrase) gear it too low; usually based on the gear they would use on a climb when using a geared bike. This is a mistake because a fixed wheel does not have the dead-point when the peddals are at the six o'clock position. At this position on gears there is no leverage and require effort to get the peddal "over the top", but on a fixed as long as the rear wheel is rotating the peddals come over with much less effort. This is the flywheel effect. Also the bicycle itself is so much lighter because of the lack of gears etc.

If on the hardest climb on your fixed wheel route you would normally use a 63" bottom on a geared bike, you will find that you can probably get away with something in the 67"-72" (depending on your peddaling style) to climb that hill.

I've been riding on, on and off, since 1978 and find it a fantastic way to enjoy cycling. I almost fell off on my first ride but now switch between gears and fixed without even thinking about it.

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Felt normal on friday to be constantly pedalling Then I had two stop pedalling moments, but at slow speed and I didn't get anywhere near locking the wheel up. Also had a car pull out on me and braked fine! I think I might like it!

New max speed of 25mph downhill as well. Think that might be as fast as my legs can go!

RedBike

trio25 said:
Felt normal on friday to be constantly pedalling Then I had two stop pedalling moments, but at slow speed and I didn't get anywhere near locking the wheel up. Also had a car pull out on me and braked fine! I think I might like it!

New max speed of 25mph downhill as well. Think that might be as fast as my legs can go!

Its taken me months to kind of get the hang of it; and you've mastered it in 2 rides! - Grrrr.
I still can't cope with the big peak district hills. I have to go down them SLOWLY dragging a brake.

I also always stop pedalling when I have to brake hard. It's just force of habbit.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
trio25 said:

Clearly you must have known this when signing up for the forum... and named yourself appropriately... spooky!! :biggrin:

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Clearly you must have known this when signing up for the forum... and named yourself appropriately... spooky!! :biggrin:

Not like me to see into the future but I've had this username on various forums before I even cycled!

Anyone want this weekends lottery numbers?

Red remember I am cycling round Manchester nothing silly like peak district hills, I have a geared bike if I want to do that.

Did 59miles on it today, my legs hurt!

RedBike

I actualy find riding fixed (on the flat) easier than geared. Theres no temptation to push hard and the bikes noticably more efficient.
Perhaps u just need to get used to the bike, or maybe a different gear ratio.

Top Bottom