First fixed road ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

As mentioned above, the more you can relax the easier it is. Much easier said than done I know.

I love the way the fixie climbs. It's as though someones giving me a helping push every now and then. If it wasn't for the fact it scares the cr*p out of me going downhill then I wouldn't ride anything else.

RedBike

As mentioned above, the more you can relax the easier it is. Much easier said than done I know.

I love the way the fixie climbs. It's as though someones giving me a helping push every now and then. If it wasn't for the fact it scares the cr*p out of me going downhill then I wouldn't ride anything else.

RedBike

yashicamat

fossyant said:
You'll be fine..... took mine up The Wizard today - less than 40 rpm climbing in a 74"... nearly tried to freewheel a couple of times having not been on it for a month.

You can get up to the Wizard from the A34 on a 74" gear?!:biggrin: Either you are super super fit, the bike is super super light, or both! That is hard work on my LHT with 27 gears to tinker with . . . last time I was in that neck of the woods with my SS (also a 74" gear), I avoided the Wizard and went across the lanes to Mottram instead.:rofl: Mind you some of those climbs were pretty hard work too. I think I need to get fitter. :sad:

yashicamat

fossyant said:
You'll be fine..... took mine up The Wizard today - less than 40 rpm climbing in a 74"... nearly tried to freewheel a couple of times having not been on it for a month.

You can get up to the Wizard from the A34 on a 74" gear?!:smile: Either you are super super fit, the bike is super super light, or both! That is hard work on my LHT with 27 gears to tinker with . . . last time I was in that neck of the woods with my SS (also a 74" gear), I avoided the Wizard and went across the lanes to Mottram instead.:biggrin: Mind you some of those climbs were pretty hard work too. I think I need to get fitter. :eek:

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Second ride today. Think the bike is in charge on downhills not me, I am braking constantly.

Now am I brave enough to commute fixed tomorrow?

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Second ride today. Think the bike is in charge on downhills not me, I am braking constantly.

Now am I brave enough to commute fixed tomorrow?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
yashicamat said:
You can get up to the Wizard from the A34 on a 74" gear?!:biggrin:

I only did it 'cos the other guy I was with said..'shall we' - he was on a 63" single speed. He set the pace, I followed trying not to pop a kneecap. :tongue:

I normally climb it geared on 39 x 19, which is 55",

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
There and back, not too bad but I think I am slower overall as going downhills involves braking! How do you cope with that feeling, my legs don't seem to spin that fast!

Still think i'll do it again tomorrow.

Can't decide if I like it or not!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
trio25 said:
There and back, not too bad but I think I am slower overall as going downhills involves braking! How do you cope with that feeling, my legs don't seem to spin that fast!

Still think i'll do it again tomorrow.

Can't decide if I like it or not!

It took me at least 4 weeks before I could get it into my head just to relax the legs and spin rather than trying to control it. I am normally a grinder at about 80 - 90 rpm however have once managed to get up to 184 rpm downhill fixed :sad: however I would not want to go that fast again as it was starting to feel very uncomfortable :sad:

Practice, practice and practice again is the only way

Top Bottom