First group ride help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
I've taken the plunge and contacted a local cycle club and hope to join them on a ride Wednesday night. I've only ever ridden on my own. What advice would you give to a newbie on their first group ride. Feeling slightly apprehensive but I'm sure it will do me good.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Turning up with a clean and obviously well maintained bike will get you off on the right foot.

Remember you have two ears and one mouth, so do more listening than talking - that will help you establish how the group likes to operate and enable you to fit in more easily.

No need to hide, but I would stooge around towards the back at least for the first few miles which gives you the best opportunity to see how the group operates.

Other members will be a little wary of you from a safety point of view, so ride conservatively and responsibly - don't undertake or ride close behind, or overlap wheels.

The group's policy on calling out hazards is another thing you will establish by listening and watching.

Some groups do quite a bit of that, others barely communicate at all.

In summary, just go with the flow.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Don't use your brakes unless you really have to.

Good point, you cannot see a bicycle slowing down from behind.

That's why cash for crash scams where the brake lights are disabled work so well - even a careful driver will run into the back of a car with no brake lights.

While I'm on, I would also advise the OP to establish who is ride leader and to let that person know if the OP wants to leave the ride early for any reason.

Again policy varies, but I think most ride leaders would be a bit miffed if a new member peals off with out saying anything.

Stevec047

Über Member
Any good group will take you under there wing and look after you. Like others have said keep your eyes peeled and listen to the others.

I was just like you earlier this year and the group I go out with ranges from the serious have to go fast all the time to those like me that struggle at the back. Even when the fast guys break away they always wait at the next change of direction for the rest to catch up and in fact one time I had one of the fast guys sit in front of me for 4/5 miles allowing me to sit in his slipstream and power back up to the main group.

At the end of the day just enjoy youself, riding in a group is a totally different and amazing experience which for me adds to the magic that is cycling.

If it's a no drop ride you should be fine;the one thing you will notice is how much easier it will be in the group although if you do get to get to the front it can be the opposite:bicycle::heat:^_^.

As others have said though make shure the leader(s) know your level and they should have someone keep an eye out;it may seem a little nerve wracking being in a bunch but you'll soon get used to it.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
This time of year make sure you're kitted out with decent mudguards and sensible lights (by which I mean ones which don't give anyone riding near you epilepsy but can still be seen by cars).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think there are three key things to find out:

1. Are there any kit or clothing restrictions? TT bars are often banned, a certain grouping often requires certain headgear, some require certain types of lights and I've heard of one that asks people not to wear bibs as they're not waiting that long at the coffee stop!

2. Is it no-drop? If there's a risk of getting dropped, you need to know how to get home and the kit to do so, be that cleat covers in case you're walking, or a phone to call a taxibus.

3. Is it freewheeling? If not, pedal on the downhills, especially if you find yourself on the front of a bunch, as the slipstream effect means those behind will be catching you up and having to brake. If it is freewheeling, either spread out as you cross summits or be ready to brake on downhill straights.

As others said, introduce yourself as new at the start (get there a bit early!) and it should go smoothly. I like group riding and my local is everything-welcome no-drop freewheeling. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Thank you all for the advice some things there I would not say f thought about asking e.g braking, freewheeling etc.... When I contacted the group I told them of my experience, the distances I have been riding and my average speed. The group rides most nights and this was the one they recommended. I will be on my touring bike with lights and mudguards. Will arrive early and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Top Bottom