First group ride help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
If it's a no drop ride you should be fine;the one thing you will notice is how much easier it will be in the group although if you do get to get to the front it can be the opposite:bicycle::heat:^_^.

As others have said though make shure the leader(s) know your level and they should have someone keep an eye out;it may seem a little nerve wracking being in a bunch but you'll soon get used to it.
Many thanks, looking at your u/n are you from Ely Cambridgedhire? Used to live just outside there at one point.

Many thanks, looking at your u/n are you from Ely Cambridgedhire? Used to live just outside there at one point.

Yep,proper city Fen boy me^_^.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
So how did you get on, @Ice2911 ?
They didn't ride last night! Never mind, I can get some more mileage in and join with them after Christmas. I was warned it might not happen. So I'm off on a longer ride for me this morning. I will let you know when it has happened as I will do it!

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Fen winds are over rated IMO; I find the gale force winds and hills when I visit north are more of a challenge.:laugh:
Obviously in the Fens you can freewheel on the downhill bits when cycling into the head wind, oh wait a minute.... :smile:

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Been there done both quite a bit (most recently the Fens) and I know what I find more challenging. In the Fens at a guess I'm averaging 2 or 3mph more for the same effort :okay:
Guess I'm going to find out, almost all my cycling has been in Fens and Norfolk. Going to do LEJOG in June so need to ride some hills before I go. Now live in Norwich and there are a couple of short hills I can ride several times near me.

Guess I'm going to find out, almost all my cycling has been in Fens and Norfolk. Going to do LEJOG in June so need to ride some hills before I go. Now live in Norwich and there are a couple of short hills I can ride several times near me.
Good luck, if you can manage 200 miles in the Fens you'll manage 190miles in the hills there's not too much in between them. :okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They didn't ride last night!
Fair-weather wimps! ;)

Fenland head winds are character building and soul destroying at the same time. I had a tailwind once though, then I woke.
I've had two fen tailwinds that I remember: both times we'd been down well below 10mph on the outbound leg, but were doing well over 20mph on the return... the first time, I freewheeled at 18mph and hit 33mph on the Fen Rivers Way approaching the South Lynn bypass bridge! :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
Fair-weather wimps! ;)

I've had two fen tailwinds that I remember: both times we'd been down well below 10mph on the outbound leg, but were doing well over 20mph on the return... the first time, I freewheeled at 18mph and hit 33mph on the Fen Rivers Way approaching the South Lynn bypass bridge! :thumbsup:

I had a 4mph out and a 40mph back once, the 40 was only held for a couple of miles and went past a friends business, nobody saw me though.:sad:

Top Bottom