First Hybrid Bike and I hate it HELP!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Tyre size and pressure make abig difference to comfort, also relax arms and legs, learn to absorb the terrain through your body, a higher cadence helps over rough stuff.
^ this - use your arms and legs as shock absorbers, don't sit DOWN on the saddle, it's not an armchair, just rest on it, let your legs raise you off the saddle a tad as you ride over bumpy stuff. Read the road. BTW i'm in my 69th year, ride road bikes with 23mm tyres, and don't find tyre pressures confusing :okay:

sidevalve

Über Member
^ this - use your arms and legs as shock absorbers, don't sit DOWN on the saddle, it's not an armchair, just rest on it, let your legs raise you off the saddle a tad as you ride over bumpy stuff. Read the road. BTW i'm in my 69th year, ride road bikes with 23mm tyres, and don't find tyre pressures confusing :okay:
+ a load for that. It's more like riding a horse - rise with the bumps. You wouldn't sit on a galloping horse like a sack of coal and a bike has much the same idea of suspension.
Tyre pressures are simple enough bigger = lower [usually] MTB at around 70 touring 80 - 90 and race 100 up [others might disagree but the above works for me]
Remember you're not on a trials m/cycle with 8 - 10ins of suspension travel.
As for taking it back to Halfords unless there is a clear fault then why ? Tyre pressures, saddle, riding style are all down to you I'm afraid

Yorksman

I was brought up on a variety of 'bone shakers' so most modern bikes seem OK to me.

Other than the suggestions made, if the bumps are through the handlebars, make sure your saddle is adjusted so you don't have too much pressure on your wrists leaning forward. If your weight is thrust forward, you do tend to feel everything. If the bumps are through the saddle, try one of those stems which absorb shocks.

At my age, avoiding back problems is an issue so I use butterfly handlbars. Correctly adjusted you can use higher or lower body positions depending on terrain. Again, by raising the wrists, shocks are more easily absorbed.

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Thanks for all the feedback, I been persevering (still no likey) I got the bike from Peterborough halfords, dunno about tyre pressure (more confusion for an old man) and I think the seat has to go, last time I had all that banging up and down I had company.

Oh and I don't think bending me arms is going to help, I could bend over and kiss me Chakras and it would still rattle the bones of me
What are the tyre pressures set at? If they are too hard, the bike will bounce around over bumps, which is uncomfortable and gives you less control. With my new hybrid, I quickly found that the front tyre needs to be 10psi softer than the rear.

How much pressure depends on your weight. I'm about 70kg (11 stone) so I'll run 23mm tyres at 100psi. As the tyre gets wider, less pressure is needed, so 25mm would be 90psi, 28mm at 80psi etc. The 37mm tyres on the hybrid are a little unusual in needing about 70-75psi, but this has been noted by many reviewers of those particular tyres.

That is for the rear tyre. 10psi less in the front and that should be right. Once tyre pressures are sorted, then you can properly feel whether the saddle is good for you or not.

Get a track pump with a gauge on it, they are a godsend and aren't expensive, £20 will do it.

Good luck!

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Track pumps are a must. Got one two years ago an wished I would have got one earlier. Money well spent!
On the lookout for a new one now I have Presta not Schrader valves...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the bumps are through the saddle, try one of those stems which absorb shocks.
What is the recent fad for recommending those seatposts? Before blowing loads of money to get a good one of them, check your saddle isn't slightly too high (which would prevent your legs sharing the load properly over rough ground) and if not, try a sprung saddle (less shock absorption than the posts but tons cheaper: except Brooks)

david k

Hi
Thanks for all the feedback, I been persevering (still no likey) I got the bike from Peterborough halfords, dunno about tyre pressure (more confusion for an old man) and I think the seat has to go, last time I had all that banging up and down I had company.

Oh and I don't think bending me arms is going to help, I could bend over and kiss me Chakras and it would still rattle the bones of me
Swap it for a more generous hybrid which will give more comfort, I have a Carrara subway 2 and love it

Yorksman

What is the recent fad for recommending those seatposts? Before blowing loads of money to get a good one of them, check your saddle isn't slightly too high (which would prevent your legs sharing the load properly over rough ground) and if not, try a sprung saddle (less shock absorption than the posts but tons cheaper: except Brooks)

I meant if adjusting the saddle position or riding position didn't cure it. You don't have to blow a lot of money though, they start below twenty quid, worth it before giving up on the bike.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
+ a load for that. It's more like riding a horse - rise with the bumps. You wouldn't sit on a galloping horse like a sack of coal and a bike has much the same idea of suspension.
Tyre pressures are simple enough bigger = lower [usually] MTB at around 70 touring 80 - 90 and race 100 up [others might disagree but the above works for me]
Remember you're not on a trials m/cycle with 8 - 10ins of suspension travel.
As for taking it back to Halfords unless there is a clear fault then why ? Tyre pressures, saddle, riding style are all down to you I'm afraid
Without trying to confuse...i don't ride my road bike like that at all. I never rise out of the saddle...ever...my legs work solely to turn the cranks and I concentrate on keeping that turn regular and smooth. Pretty much nothing moves above my hips...no head bobbing, no shoulder dipping and no rising out the saddle...or am I reading this wrong

I do agree with the bent elbows though.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

On the bent arms point, perhaps just focus on making sure your elbows are not locked and that there is an angle to them. It will reduce "normal"rattles.

It does sound like you may have additional issues, perhaps relating to set up.

Get Halfords to check it over too.

mjr

Yorksman

Maybe, but isn't that like a £5 saddle?

Well, I use Brookes which you thought was too expensive so I guess it is upto the OP to find his own middle ground. I would find it worthwhile buying a cheap one just to find out if it has the potential to solve the problem before a gave up on the whole bike. But, try all the other advice first. The OP hasn't afterall said where he experiences the jarring, through his wrists or at the base of the spine and, as has already been stated, position and/or set up usually solves this sort of problem.

mjr

Well, I use Brookes which you thought was too expensive
Aw, clucking bell! I wrote that Brooks aren't tons cheaper than good suspension seatposts! I don't think they're too expensive: I've a Flyer and a B66 :thumbsup: but my workhorses have cheaper Selle Royal sprung saddles on them because they're more all-weather and attract less attention from the local nickers.

Agree on the rest: more info from @Badwolf would help.

Top Bottom