First Image from the James Webb telescope...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Its going the opposite direction.

You are seeing light from the star just after the big bang which was 13.8 billion years ago but to travel to it would take 27 billion years (assuming you could stop expansion of the universe whilst travelling)

What?! .... a bloke in town holding a 'the end is nigh' plaque told me it was 6,000* years old :ohmy:

* which is still very very old... I'm only fifty three

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Can that be right if the universe is only (!) 13.8 billion years old?

View: https://youtu.be/vIJTwYOZrGU

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Its going the opposite direction.

You are seeing light from the star just after the big bang which was 13.8 billion years ago but to travel to it would take 27 billion years (assuming you could stop expansion of the universe whilst travelling)

Ah, of course. Thanks for prompting me to read up about the Hubble Constant.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The company I'm working with at the moment has been developing this with NASA for 20 years. There's great excitement, to say the least.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
I didn't get much free time last night so decided to take a good look around the 4K pictures floating around online.

Spent about half an hour on the galaxy picture and it's amazing. The definition of the smaller galaxies captured, coupled with the detail in the dark areas is mind blowing.

There may be some artistic license choosing the hues and what gets touched up, but they are stunning.

Top Bottom