First Image from the James Webb telescope...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Anyone else excited by the James Webb Space Telescope announcement this afternoon?

Teaser image released this morning which looks incredible.

I can't wait to see what is going to be revealed over the coming years by this amazing piece of engineering

14.30GMT this afternoon for anyone wanting to watch the live feed

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/...livers-deepest-infrared-image-of-universe-yet

"The image shows the galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 as it appeared 4.6 billion years ago. The combined mass of this galaxy cluster acts as a gravitational lens, magnifying much more distant galaxies behind it. Webb’s NIRCam has brought those distant galaxies into sharp focus – they have tiny, faint structures that have never been seen before, including star clusters and diffuse features. Researchers will soon begin to learn more about the galaxies’ masses, ages, histories, and compositions, as Webb seeks the earliest galaxies in the universe."

1657663073420.png

Last edited:

markemark

Über Member
+1

So much out there that we will never ever know about.
I heard it said that there were 100 million galaxies with 100 million stars in each. Each star is the equivalent of our sun, so balance of probabilities says there is anoher planet out there able to support life of some form.
But given the time this light has taken to reach us we will never ever be able to communicate with them.

Not only that, the vanishingly small window of time life would exist would mean the chances of two life forms coexisting at the same time is virtually 0.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
+1

So much out there that we will never ever know about.
I heard it said that there were 100 million galaxies with 100 million stars in each. Each star is the equivalent of our sun, so balance of probabilities says there is anoher planet out there able to support life of some form.
But given the time this light has taken to reach us we will never ever be able to communicate with them.

Unbelievable isn't it.

It blows my mind to try and comprehend it and especially when someone quantifies what you are seeing. To have the ability to look billions of years back in time. One of the stars pictured is now 27 billion light years away :ohmy:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
and it doesn't disappoint!

main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-1280.jpg

more images will be added to this page as they are released
https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimage...ectNiL2-hBmA9JiCmHS9tQuaa7sL1U-VeWj7E5c_-0EYA

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was a toss up between the sad and wow emoji.

Shame as it stands that we can't recover Hubble back from space. I feel it deserves it.

It's not really a fair comparision, because they are two different beasts. Hubble works in visible light, and JWST in infra red. So they're comparing an image where JWST picks out many objects that Hubble can only see dimly because they are so red shifted. There are probably a whole load of things that JWST isn't designed to do that Hubble does better (or maybe not I dunno).

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
It's not really a fair comparision, because they are two different beasts. Hubble works in visible light, and JWST in infra red. So they're comparing an image where JWST picks out many objects that Hubble can only see dimly because they are so red shifted. There are probably a whole load of things that JWST isn't designed to do that Hubble does better (or maybe not I dunno).

They're different beasts alright. But Hubble deserves its place for the advancement it brought.

As you say JWST is packed with all sorts of different sensors. Tip of the iceberg.

Just skimmed the news and have seen a couple of shots. Can't wait to have a good read through later.

Top Bottom