First Motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to carry an MTB around on a Smart car, and because it was so low to the ground it was perhaps the most convenient and easy system id ever used. You can even get a bike rack for the Twizy, which will help combat range anxiety.

Ive not found or owned a car yet that couldn't easily accommodate a bicycle in some manner. The big caveat to that being that if youre an oompa loompa then a roof mounted rack on a Rangie L322 may not be ideal... :laugh:

Venod

Eh up
I used to carry an MTB around on a Smart car, and because it was so low to the ground it was perhaps the most convenient and easy system id ever used. You can even get a bike rack for the Twizy, which will help combat range anxiety.

Ive not found or owned a car yet that couldn't easily accommodate a bicycle in some manner. The big caveat to that being that if youre an oompa loompa then a roof mounted rack on a Rangie L322 may not be ideal... :laugh:
I have used all types of carrier, boot/rear mounted carrier, roof mounted, tow bar mounted, I found the tow bar mounted the best option, but if it was a foul day the bikes ended up filthy, my prefered option is in the back, not akways possible I know.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Again, some really interesting stuff in here - thanks!

I've got a bit of a shortlist forming now, comprising of Qubo/Bipper/Nemo which are all grotesque and look to be cavernous with small, insurable engines.

I like the idea of a Yaris or something with a roof rack. Added bonus that If I rack the bikes upside down and end up flipping the car into a ditch, I may well be able to pedal it back out.

Ford and Skoda estates may be a few years away yet, the smaller engined versions of both that fall within what I would consider reasonable insurance expenditure are still quite new and way above budget. I suspect it will be after Christmas before I make any moves but I'll keep you all in the loop!

Salar

A fish out of water
I'd keep clear of the Qubo, we looked at one as a second car a couple of years ago. They seem to have lots of problems, do a google search to see what I mean. Check the Fiat forum.

However we had an old shape Fiat Doblo, which we used for years and it never let us down. I sold it on fleabay years ago locally and I still see it around.

Top Bottom