First Motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Vauxhall do a Combo van and Ford do a Transit Connect. Insurance on a van could be higher for private use.

Otherwise it's the Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner Tepee / Renault Kangoo / Fiat Doblo. All cheap to run but don't expect anything exciting from them *

* note I moved from a 280hp Saab to an 89hp Peugeot Tepee. A totally different experience.

Yeah I've run a few quotes and they all take me specifically down the "van" insurance pathway so I think that's that ruled out. Oh well - how hard can it be to rip the rear seats out of something else... Does that count as a "modification"? I have noticed the Fiat Qubo which is adequately disgusting but might suit my needs if the rear seats fold.

I've no desire for it to be fun. Vaguely comfortable would be good, but my needs are purely utility otherwise.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
None the wiser. If it’s a Great Dane a C1 might be cosy even with the seats down...

Now you're thinking of Dogging. I can see how you got there, but that's a very different conversation and not one I wish to engage in. I recommend you and Dane keep yourselves to yourselves.

screenman

Legendary Member
Citreon Xsara Picasso should push a few buttons, we took two of them up to 200,000 miles without problems and without much servicing, well almost none unless you call an oil change very 50,000 mile regular.

Gunk

Guru
A good used Toyota Yaris is what you want, they’re cockroach of the automotive world, they just refuse to die!

Unsexy, cheap to run and will never let you down. £2500 is the most you need to pay.

screenman

Legendary Member
A good used Toyota Yaris is what you want, they’re cockroach of the automotive world, they just refuse to die!

Unsexy, cheap to run and will never let you down. £2500 is the most you need to pay.

I have bought 2 of those in the last fortnight, I was thinking for the dog and bikes the Picasso is great, middle back seat left out and the bike just rolls in and stays upright.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
So what do I do?
1. Go on your wife’s insurance as a named driver.
3. Bribe them with Tenners and offer to clean their bikes in return to make them fight over who drives you.
60453A5C-A0AB-4275-A711-6509FA230F89.gif

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
We’ve had both a Yaris and an aygo. Both will do what you want them to. We down sized cars no need for 2 anymore. We kept my Aygo cheep to run and insure runs on thimble full good on the green front too. Fun to drive too saying it’s a cylinder it soon moves when want to. Ours doesn't leak as the seals got replaced it’s Toyota dealer practice on effected cars before they sell them used. As mine is. We've a dog plenty of room. Surprising what you can fit in really. As for a bike it will fit but not much else removing both wheels may give you a bit more room as apposed to just one. Never skipped a beat not mad for a 10 plate but it is serviced every year by the book as Toyota lay down.

Drago

Legendary Member
None the wiser. If it’s a Great Dane a C1 might be cosy even with the seats down...
A great dane would be fine with the seats down. Daughter 3's first car was a 107 and managed a 75lb labrador and an even larger coonhound just fine - 2 large dogs comfortably accommodated. Sure, a Volvo wagon would be the ideal for that, but it did the job quite aedequately.

The OP is asking for serious advice - you should speak through experience or first hand knowledge, not idly speculate about what dog you've never owned would fit in a car youve also never owned.

Going back to the question, a Boxer/ Berlingo is a good call. Ive a soft spot for them, simple, umpretentious, honesty. The trickier part will be getting a decent one within your bidget that is cheap to run and insure. Remember - at that end of the market the cheaper a car is to buy the more expensive it is liable to cost to own. Never say never, but the odds of finding a genuinely straight are slimmer the bigger the car or the more expensive it was when new, although the Boxer/Berlingo probably stands you better odds than many.

Remember, unless youre good with spanners you can't afford to be clever with 2K - K.I.S.S. applies in spades.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
My MTB would go in the Belingo stood up without removing the wheels, I think I took one of the rear seats out which were designed to be removed, another good point about them is the sliding door, which is great if you have kids.
Ours stunk of dogs from the previous owner, it took ages to get rid of the smell, Mrs Afnug didn't get on with it, so we swapped it for a Quasqai, which I could also get the bike in without removing the wheels, but not stood up like the Belingo.
On reflection I should have kept it and got another car for Mrs Afnug, we went back to two cars shortly after with a Skoda Fabia Esate which is also bike friendly but entails removing a wheel.
We are now back to one car, but I am missing my trips off with the bike so keep toying with the idea of another, we have a Volvo V40, it will take the bike with the wheel off but is needed most days by the wife for Grandchildren duties, I am impressed with the Volvo so have been looking at older XC60 and V60s, the jurys still out.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
On reflection I should have kept it and got another car for Mrs Afnug, we went back to two cars shortly after with a Skoda Fabia Esate which is also bike friendly but entails removing a wheel.
I don’t have to take the wheel off my road bikes or hybrids in mine (medium frames)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had a Yaris before the Qashqai - had it 17 years, and it's parked at someones house a few streets away. The red paint isn't as lovely as it was (problem with red) but it's still running - must be 21 years old now.

The Berlingo etc is very popular with MTB'ers due to the pull out seats - you can get a trail bike in easily. They also seem reliable. Also can double up as a mini day camper if needed - plenty of kits/ideas out there.

Avoid vans at the moment - prices are at a premium due to the home delivery situation. I'd quite like a small van, but not sure the 'boss' would let me, so it's stick with my old saloon car - the Qashqai is a pain in the butt to get big bikes on the roof, although will take two trail bikes in the boot, front wheel off lay on top of each other.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS I've had a road bike, both wheels and mudgards on in the back of the Yaris - just had to shove the front seat forward - I dropped the car off for a service before riding into work.

Top Bottom