First motorbike @ 56 YES/NO

Should I get my first motorbike ?

• Yes - Go for it

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • No - to dangerous

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As my spinal issues are likely to limit my cycling for a good while (covered elsewhere) - I am seriously thinking of getting myself a little scooter - which is something I have wanted to do - since being a mod when I was 17 (Mom and dad put the frightneres on me and bribed with a car !!)
Thing is I have never ridden a motorbike - I just wonder at 56 would this risks be too great ?

classic33

Leg End Member
Why not?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I wouldn't have thought so. Your cycling experience would stand you in good stead, and you wouldn't suffer from a 17 year old's conviction of immortality. There's nothing inherently perilous about motorbikes - it's the stupidity and recklessness of young men that makes them risky..

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sadly statistically your most likely to die as a result of an accident.

Born again bikers don't fair well.

That said your looking at scooters and have been a keen cyclist...go for it:okay:

Jody

Stubborn git
I would probably be in a coffin within a year if I got a motorbike. Best thing my mum did was tell me there was no roof over my head if I bought one. Looking back I can see why.

Scooters aren't overly powerful so might not be too risky.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I wouldn't have thought so. Your cycling experience would stand you in good stead, and you wouldn't suffer from a 17 year old's conviction of immortality. There's nothing inherently perilous about motorbikes - it's the stupidity and recklessness of young men that makes them risky..

Statistics would say otherwise.

Lots of older mid life crisis men go out and buy modern ultra fast motorcycles and kill themselves.. younger immortal riders tend to be less prone to target fixation accidents, but do tend to speed ..so still crash

Brandane

Legendary Member
You realise that there is a risk attached, so you are a good part of the way to survival already, IMHO.. Just ride it like everyone else on the road is out to kill you, and treat every roundabout and junction as if they are coated in oil. That might already be familiar tactics if you cycle on the same roads as I do :ohmy:.

From another survivor of motorcycling. 37 years on the road so far and still loving it ^_^.

Last edited:
What about a decent e-bike ? would that be an option. It may look odd though with those large wing mirrors on and not sure where'd you'd put that target sticker (one that looks like the RAF logo)

Johnsop99

Veteran
One of the best things I've ever done is take and pass an advanced motorcycle course. Very good for getting you to observe everything and predict what may happen so that when it does happen you've got the time to take avoiding action. I must have clocked up around 500.000 miles on motorbikes and around 350,000 miles on cars/vans and only had one serious accident - in a 3.5 tonne van! Get a motorcycle, they're safer!

Smudge

Veteran
I assume you've never passed a mc test, in which case you will have to do a CBT to ride anything over 50cc. Even then you'll be restricted until passing more tests.
I'd rather be on an ebike than a 50cc ped, as there are no insurance, tax, mot, or have to wear a lid on an ebike, plus ebikes can legally go many places where a ped cant.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'll never forget the thrill of doing 30 mph on my first moped. I rode my Honda 70 from Newcastle to Woverhampton going over Shap in filthy weather and seizing the piston at speed on the A6 near Stafford. I motorcycled for 12 years doing some long touring trips and only fell off once, on a wet roundabout in my first few weeks of riding.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a motorbike as a teenager. Some years ago I thought about getting one, I even went as far as visiting several dealers.
Then I read about the number of deaths for born again bikers as they cannot comprehend just how powerful modern bikes are compared to way back when. I decided against it^_^.
You may have some advantages in being totally new to it plus the training you have to go through.
I confess to being a bit jealous though

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm also a latecomer to the motorcycle scene as a result of working for the Kymco importer. I ended up with a motorcycle as I was offered it at a price that I couldn't refuse but with hindsight I'd rather have had one of the scooters. Easier to ride, easier to look after and storage space for a lock or whatever under the seat.

Top Bottom