First motorbike @ 56 YES/NO

Should I get my first motorbike ?

• Yes - Go for it

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • No - to dangerous

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ordinarily, I would suggest for someone in their mid 50s or beyond NOT to start motorcycling. Despite the compulsory training, there is a certain amount of finding out by trial and error (like what happens when there is diesel spilled on a roundabout) and older people don't bounce as well as younger ones.
But, you have done a lot of cycling, which gives you the kind of road sense that you will need, and a scooter will be a bit slower than a typical motorbike.
Go for it!

Gunk

Guru
I’m still riding a Honda Fireblade at the young age of 55. Motorcycles have been a huge part of my life and I couldn’t imagine not having one in the garage, even though I don’t ride now as much as I used to.

I would say to anyone thinking of passing their test later in life and getting a motorcycle, just do it! Yes of course it comes with risk but the pleasure it brings in my opinion far outweighs any negatives.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Its not a case of need - its another hobby, interest pass time - while my back (hopefully ) heals.....
Oh yes I get that and I'm not criticising I simply wouldn't do it myself.

When I said "need" an e-bike it perhaps wasn't phrased well. What I'm thinking is when I can no longer cycle as I wish I'll look for a bit of "assistance."

Sorry if I came across badly.

postman

Legendary Member
Go for it.I used to go to work on an Italian scooter.I know it made me a better cyclist.You can 'see' things are going to happen,go on and enjoy it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When I was a youth I desperately wanted a motorbike and as a young adult owning a slow car really fancied the performance of any mid sized bike. I eventually did my test on 125 in my mid 20s and bought a 600cc Yamaha sports tourer 6 months later. Surprisingly I was fairly sensible on it and only came off once when I skidded it on a maybe oily road - I was going very slowly in town at the time so no harm done. Dropped it whilst stationary a few times in "failure to get leg over" incidents (cue Brian Johnson & Aggers). I really enjoyed having it and used it for transport rather than just as a toy. Decades later Mrs PP encouraged me to get another bike so this time got a 1000cc Triumph, again a sports tourer. Despite it being very very fast if you open it up, it is very easy to ride it slowly and pootle along in town, or for medium speed relaxed long distances on A roads. Whilst it's fine doing 30mph in third gear in town, it'll do 60mph in 1st if you go to the red line and 90+ in 2nd so you pass people very easily in short bits of road. It is a bit heavy mind, but fine once you're moving above walking pace. We've been to the Alps, Belgium, Hamburg on it and its great.

Maybe contradicted the born-again-biker danger this kind of semi-sensible bike ridden sensibly should't really turn anyone into a looney unless they want to be. It maybe that ultra-sporty bikes are more likely to be hard to handle and speed catches you out, but weight apart (this) big sports tourer is easy and civilised to ride long distances as fast or slow as you want

This is one just like mine

Top Bottom