First motorbike @ 56 YES/NO

Should I get my first motorbike ?

• Yes - Go for it

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • No - to dangerous

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wow, where do you live Vietnam? :ohmy: That’s certainly not my experience here in Oxfordshire, yes there are a few bellends on shitty scooters and nobs on Sportsbikes especially in the summer months, but they are definitely a very small minority. Most bikers are seasoned, experienced and these days sadly middle aged.
S London. I’ve been to Vietnam, far more scooterists, far fewer nobbers riding them than around here

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I climbed onto my Himalayan and set off home with a sigh of relief ...

Keep clear of the rough stuff.:laugh:
Royal-Enfield-Himalayan-Breaks-Two-Parts.jpg

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
If Chinese scoots provided dependable day in day out transportation then Europe would be full of them, I've hardly seen any ever, not to mention so many garages refusing to even work on them. However there are plenty of Peugeot Djangos around. Ok built in China, but in Peugeot's own factory, that would give me some comfort, not a bad attempt at not trying to be a Vespa or Lambretta. (Still wouldn't have one though) but a few hundred quid more used yet in another quality league.

View attachment 505531

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-Peu...835171?hash=item4da632e563:g:qCYAAOSwRS9eNBwm

If I really got into it - I would splash the cash. But initially it will just be to ride the thing and see how I feel. I don't expect to be keeping it for years - nor do I expect it to retain its value.

Have considered the Peugeot - but not sold on the looks - would probably go Royal alloy if I was spending £2k +

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As my spinal issues are likely to limit my cycling for a good while (covered elsewhere) - I am seriously thinking of getting myself a little scooter - which is something I have wanted to do - since being a mod when I was 17 (Mom and dad put the frightneres on me and bribed with a car !!)
Thing is I have never ridden a motorbike - I just wonder at 56 would this risks be too great ?

What self respecting mod would sit on a motorbike!!:ohmy: ;)

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
If I really got into it - I would splash the cash. But initially it will just be to ride the thing and see how I feel. I don't expect to be keeping it for years - nor do I expect it to retain its value.

That's like saying the same about cycling and trialling a bike from Sports Direct. Good luck with whatever you get, pootling about on a scooter in summer is great fun.:okay:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I did the advanced motorcycle thingy back in the 1980's (I think police motorcyclist's did them). I will say, I felt far more like I could see so much more of the road and could get better advanced warnings. Given a choice I'd ride a motorcycle in order to avoid accidents.

Of course the bad side is once you are in an accident (which sometimes is unavoidable) you will understandably be worse off. FWIW, I'd say go for it.

I've been riding motorcycles for 47 years.... i'm still here.
I feel far safer on the road on a motorcycle than i do on a bicycle, for the simple reason that you're not constantly being overtaken by cars and trucks.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Ouch!!! I will say I love the look of the Himalayans. If I did get a motorcycle again, I would love one of those....

BTW, I really love following Itchy Boots on Youtube -she's a Dutch motorcyclist who buys a Himalayan in India and rides it back to the Netherlands. She's currently riding from Patagonia to Alaska. She has my respect for this.

Keep clear of the rough stuff.:laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a Moto Guzzi Breva 750 and an Honda Innova 125. The Honda gets used far more than the Guzzi. It is now called the Honda wave and is streets ahead in practibility then any scooter I have ever ridden.
The Wave is made for modern day traffic, 4 stroke, fuel injected and very fuel efficient. On the Innova, Jannie and I have been 2 up camping into Germany. Its been an excellent investment.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Loved riding them in my late teens. Now gone off them. I leave the office for the carpark or bike rack and walk past people starting Thier motrbikes I notice the following negatives:

- warm up time
- exhaust smell
- uncomfortable clothing
- faffing with chokes
- engine heat
- half the riders are overweight
- problems starting
- noise

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yeah do it. Every bike is limited by the rider's right wrist. Lots of cheap scooters out there, CBT is easy if you're sensible and follow instructions. If you have the money you could do your full tests but for a scooter it's hardly worth it.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Loved riding them in my late teens. Now gone off them. I leave the office for the carpark or bike rack and walk past people starting Thier motrbikes I notice the following negatives: ... Landsurfer's edit.

Landsurfer's Royal Enfield Himalayan 410cc
- warm up time .... 0, start and ride.
- exhaust smell ... The same as a car, but less of it.
- uncomfortable clothing ... Super comfortable, why would you be uncomfortable ?
- faffing with chokes ... Fuel injected, no choke.
- engine heat .... I wish !
- half the riders are overweight ... That includes this Cyclist ... ^_^
- problems starting ... Electric start, no kickstart.
- noise ... Same noise regs as your car.

As above ..... ^_^

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
That's like saying the same about cycling and trialling a bike from Sports Direct. Good luck with whatever you get, pootling about on a scooter in summer is great fun.:okay:
That was more or less how I got into cycling £90 falcon from Halfords. Got the bug and the bikes got more expensive as I went along !!!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Havent read the whole thread :smile:
As my spinal issues are likely to limit my cycling for a good while (covered elsewhere) - I am seriously thinking of getting myself a little scooter - which is something I have wanted to do - since being a mod when I was 17 (Mom and dad put the frightneres on me and bribed with a car !!)
Thing is I have never ridden a motorbike - I just wonder at 56 would this risks be too great ?
I am in a similar boat , parents said a motorbike was too dangerous and went for a car in the end and for a time had a 50 cc chicken chaser but always wanted a "real " motorbike, now its wife 2 kids etc but deep down i still want one ;)

Top Bottom