First motorbike @ 56 YES/NO

Should I get my first motorbike ?

• Yes - Go for it

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • No - to dangerous

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
As seen up post i ride a 410cc RE Himalayan .... 28bhp .... I ride thousands of miles on it for fun and business ... still fun ...
Yesterday i had the privilege to be given a BMW 900 for the day as a demonstrator .. massive torque ... air-cooled flat twin was a joy ...
I was so glad to hand it back to Allan Jefferies BMW in Rotherham ... thanks Tony .... but not for me ...

https://www.jefferies.co.uk

I climbed onto my Himalayan and set off home with a sigh of relief ...
My past bikes have been everything from a MZ300 to a ZZR1100 and a TZ 350 engined Yammagamma ...
Small engine / low power does not mean a motor bike is not good ... Get a Vespa or Vespa clone and like Eddie Merckx said .... just ride ......

Brandane

Legendary Member
It can be. I do seem to recall @kingrollo having some concerns about some of the driving on the roads when cycling, at higher speeds on a motorbike, those risks presumably increase. I'm sure riding like a c0ck doesn't help

You cite a broken spine...motorbike accident?
In some ways I feel safer on my motorbike than I do pedaling. For one thing, you are moving WITH the traffic flow, and not so vulnerable to close passing morons on 4 wheels.
Plus they know that if they pee you off on a motorbike, you can if you wish stay right with them to "have a word" or whatever at the next opportunity. Can't realistically do that on a pedal bike unless you're in central London or similar.

vickster

Legendary Member
In some ways I feel safer on my motorbike than I do pedaling. For one thing, you are moving WITH the traffic flow, and not so vulnerable to close passing morons on 4 wheels.
Plus they know that if they pee you off on a motorbike, you can if you wish stay right with them to "have a word" or whatever at the next opportunity. Can't realistically do that on a pedal bike unless you're in central London or similar.
Why do most feel the need to ride like c0cks? Excessive speed in residential areas, sitting in ASL, riding up bike lane, riding on no traffic shared paths through parks etc, filtering to right and turning left across cyclists waiting to go straight on...just a few things I see day in day out. More so delivery scooterists but also motorbikes

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
As seen up post i ride a 410cc RE Himalayan .... 28bhp .... I ride thousands of miles on it for fun and business ... still fun ...
Yesterday i had the privilege to be given a BMW 900 for the day as a demonstrator .. massive torque ... air-cooled flat twin was a joy ...
I was so glad to hand it back to Allan Jefferies BMW in Rotherham ... thanks Tony .... but not for me ...

https://www.jefferies.co.uk

I climbed onto my Himalayan and set off home with a sigh of relief ...
My past bikes have been everything from a MZ300 to a ZZR1100 and a TZ 350 engined Yammagamma ...
Small engine / low power does not mean a motor bike is not good ... Get a Vespa or Vespa clone and like Eddie Merckx said .... just ride ......

What model BMW was that you rode ?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Why do most feel the need to ride like c0cks? Excessive speed in residential areas, sitting in ASL, riding up bike lane, riding on no traffic shared paths through parks etc, filtering to right and turning left across cyclists waiting to go straight on...just a few things I see day in day out. More so delivery scooterists but also motorbikes

and that's just the cyclists .

Landsurfer

Veteran
Theres plenty of FWits on motor bikes ... there is a general group ... Under 30's, Provisional Licence/ no licence, no insurance ... just like the Lycra bound Cycling crowd that treat every red light as a challenge , drop rubbish all along their ride, ride on busy pavements, close roads for their cycling despite the needs of residents along the route ... ..... etc .. the point is we all have issues that need addressing

Smudge

Veteran

'Most' ?..... i'm sure you've only seen a small percentage of all motorcyclists.
Similar to the generalisations that are made about cyclists.

vickster

Legendary Member
'Most' ?..... i'm sure you've only seen a small percentage of all motorcyclists.
Similar to the generalisations that are made about cyclists.
Most of the ones I see in these parts. Maybe it's a London thing but they are not atypical

MarkF

Guru
If Chinese scoots provided dependable day in day out transportation then Europe would be full of them, I've hardly seen any ever, not to mention so many garages refusing to even work on them. However there are plenty of Peugeot Djangos around. Ok built in China, but in Peugeot's own factory, that would give me some comfort, not a bad attempt at not trying to be a Vespa or Lambretta. (Still wouldn't have one though) but a few hundred quid more used yet in another quality league.

2016140606_PEUGEOT_DJANGO.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-Peu...835171?hash=item4da632e563:g:qCYAAOSwRS9eNBwm

Gunk

Guru

Wow, where do you live Vietnam? :ohmy: That’s certainly not my experience here in Oxfordshire, yes there are a few bellends on shitty scooters and nobs on Sportsbikes especially in the summer months, but they are definitely a very small minority. Most bikers are seasoned, experienced and these days sadly middle aged.

Top Bottom