First motorbike @ 56 YES/NO

Should I get my first motorbike ?

• Yes - Go for it

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • No - to dangerous

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Statistics would say otherwise.

Lots of older mid life crisis men go out and buy modern ultra fast motorcycles and kill themselves.. younger immortal riders tend to be less prone to target fixation accidents, but do tend to speed ..so still crash
Fair point. Modern ultra fast motorcycles are a whole nother ball game.

MarkF

Guru
I assume you've never passed a mc test, in which case you will have to do a CBT to ride anything over 50cc. Even then you'll be restricted until passing more tests.
I'd rather be on an ebike than a 50cc ped, as there are no insurance, tax, mot, or have to wear a lid on an ebike, plus ebikes can legally go many places where a ped cant.

I think that is a good thing for older newbies. You can spot middle aged useless riders a mile off, those that have treated themselves to something way outside their own capabilities. It's scary seeing them in the Dales in summer, I've watched them crashing leaving car parks!

OP, if you want to make your dream come true then buy a Vespa PX, you'll have something you've always wanted & although low powered it's fast fast enough to keep up with town traffic, the residual value will be rock solid too because it's the real deal. I've had a scooter and motorbike since I was 16 and wouldn't bother with the m/bike if I was starting at 56, lot's of hassle & mega ££££'s lost as you jump through hoops to get up the capacity ladder.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Go for it, I'm having one like this when I win the lottery :smile:

Kryton521

Über Member
If money was no object, ie. Win the lottery. Then I too would have a m/c, actually, probably several. One of which would be a Zero, electric m/c? Anyway, I'm 58 and thinking about getting shot of the car in favour of a m.bike as it'll be cheaper to run, insure, etc. So go for it. Take a few lessons? Since you're a cyclist you know how vulnerable you are to D**khead in a car. So you'll be fine

kapelmuur

Veteran
My brother in law got his first motorcycle in his early 70s. He’s still riding at 78 and loves it.

He did do quite a lot of training first and he’s not a speed freak.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
As my spinal issues are likely to limit my cycling for a good while (covered elsewhere) - I am seriously thinking of getting myself a little scooter - which is something I have wanted to do - since being a mod when I was 17 (Mom and dad put the frightneres on me and bribed with a car !!)
Thing is I have never ridden a motorbike - I just wonder at 56 would this risks be too great ?
Just don't go too mad- if you haven't got a motorbike licence then check what you can or can't use straightaway.. possibly be limited to a 125cc max. with L plates- might even be a moped only on a normal car license- have proper instruction to get a sensible grounding first.

I had a 200cc Honda after I passed my motorbike test and loved it until an artic. swerved out and side swiped me on a busy dual carriageway in Leeds and took me out, luckily it was my bike that fell under the trailer wheels and not me. l got away with a broken leg and some cuts. It can happen at anytime even when you have bright clothing and your headlight on during the day. Take it easy.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think that is a good thing for older newbies. You can spot middle aged useless riders a mile off, those that have treated themselves to something way outside their own capabilities. It's scary seeing them in the Dales in summer, I've watched them crashing leaving car parks!

Sounds just like road cycling and the e-MTB brigade :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've a good friend who I trust implicitly. He owns a very large Triumph motorcycle. Occassionaly he'd ask me to ride pillion, which I did. I don't anymore as it scares the living daylights out of me.

I'm 65, I wouldn't buy or ride a motorcycle. When I need it I will buy an e-bike.

Salar

A fish out of water
I'm 65, I wouldn't buy or ride a motorcycle. When I need it I will buy an e-bike.

Same here, if I ever need something for running around on I'll buy an ebike.
Only ever ridden a Honda C50 Cub and nearly bought a Bantam way back.
Doubt they would support my 18 stone now though. :blush:

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I've a good friend who I trust implicitly. He owns a very large Triumph motorcycle. Occassionaly he'd ask me to ride pillion, which I did. I don't anymore as it scares the living daylights out of me.

Its not a case of need - its another hobby, interest pass time - while my back (hopefully ) heals.....

Top Bottom